|Born||5 October 1977
|Alma mater||ESCP Europe|
Andreas Marcus Kaplan (born October 5, 1977) is Professor of Marketing at the ESCP Europe Business School. He is specialized in the areas of social media and viral marketing. As part of ESCP Europe's executive committee, Kaplan currently has the position of the School’s Dean for Academic Affairs .[non-primary source needed]. Previously, he acted as the School's Director of Brand and Communications.
Kaplan started doing research in the areas of mass customization, innovation, customer lifetime valuation, and relationship marketing. Since then he has focused on analyzing and decrypting social media. In particular his 2010 article co-authored with Michael Haenlein "Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of social media" published in Business Horizons is widely cited (over 3,600 times on Google Scholar, over 1,000 times in Scopus, and over 150 times in Business Source Premier) and known in the field. In 2011, 2012, and 2013 it ranked first in the Science Direct "Top 25 Hottest Articles" in the category Business, Management, and Accounting. Additionally, in 2013 this article ranked first across all 24 core subject areas covered in Science Direct, ranging from Management to Engineering, Psychology, or Neuroscience and thus was downloaded more often than any other of the approximately 12.5 million papers in the collection. Kaplan received the annual Best Article Award from Business Horizons, sponsored by Elsevier, for his 2012 paper "If you love something, let it go mobile: Mobile marketing and mobile social media 4x4".
- Kaplan Andreas M. (2014) European Management and European Business Schools: Insights from the History of Business Schools, European Management Journal
- Kaplan Andreas M. (2012) If you love something, let it go mobile: Mobile marketing and mobile social media 4x4, Business Horizons, 55(2), 129–139
- Kaplan Andreas M., Haenlein Michael (2012) The Britney Spears universe: Social media and viral marketing at its best, Business Horizons, 55(1), 27–31
- Kaplan Andreas (2011) Social media between the real and the virtual: How Facebook, YouTube & Co. can become an extension of the real life of their users – and sometimes even more, Prospective Strategique, 38 (Mars), 8–13
- Kaplan A.M., Haenlein M. (2011) The early bird catches the news: Nine things you should know about micro-blogging, Business Horizons, 54(2), 105–113
- Kaplan A.M., Haenlein M. (2011) Two hearts in 3/4 time: How to waltz the Social Media – Viral Marketing dance, Business Horizons, 54(3), 253–263
- Kaplan Andreas M., Haenlein Michael (2010) Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of social media, Business Horizons, 53(1), 59–68
- Kaplan A.M., Haenlein M. (2006) Toward a Parsimonious Definition of Traditional and Electronic Mass Customization, Journal of Product Innovation management, 23(2), 168–182
- Kaplan Andreas, Haenlein Michael, Schoder Detlef (2006) Valuing the real option of abandoning unprofitable customers when calculating customer lifetime value, Journal of Marketing, 70(3), 5–20
- Kaplan, Andreas (2010). "User participation within virtual worlds". In Flavio S. Fogliatto, Giovani J.C. da Silveira. Mass Customization: Engineering and Managing Global Operations. Springer Science+Business Media. pp. 333–351. ISBN 9781849964890.
- "How Has Social Media Changed Us". The Nation. November 14, 2013. Retrieved August 23, 2014 – via HighBeam Research. (subscription required (. ))
- "ESCP Europe executive team". ESCP Europe.
- "Students should build their personal brand online". May 28, 2014.
- "Marquis Who’s Who in the World". Marquis Who's Who.(subscription required)
- "Science Direct Top 25 Hottest Articles 2011 – Business, Management, and Accounting". Science Direct.
- "Science Direct Top 25 Hottest Articles 2012 – Business, Management, and Accounting". Science Direct.
- "Science Direct Top 25 Hottest Articles 2013 – Business, Management, and Accounting". Science Direct.
- "Science Direct Top 25 Hottest Articles 2013 – All Categories". Science Direct.
- "One in 12.5 million: Seminal article by Kaplan and Haenlein on social media is the most downloaded paper of 2013". Press release. ESCP Europe. June 19, 2014.
- "Mobile Social Media: Professor Andreas Kaplan receives Best Article Award 2012 from Business Horizons". Press release. ESCP Europe. February 12, 2013.