|Born||5th of October 1977
|Alma mater||ESCP Europe|
Andreas Kaplan (born October 5) is Professor of Marketing at the ESCP Europe Business School (Paris campus). He is specialized in the areas of social media and viral marketing. Currently Professor Kaplan has the position of ESCP Europe’s Director of Brand and Communication Europe.
Kaplan started his university education with a bachelor in business administration from the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich before doing his Master in International Management at ESCP Europe. Professor Kaplan did his PhD in the area of innovation and mass customization at the University of Cologne in cooperation with HEC Paris. Professor Kaplan also holds a Master of Public Administration (MPA) from L'École Nationale d'Administration (Promotion République), was visiting Ph.D. at INSEAD and participated in the International Teachers Programme (ITP) at the Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University. Furthermore, Professor Kaplan did his Habilitation (French post-doctoral qualification for Ph.D. supervisor) at the Pantheon-Sorbonne University.
Professor Kaplan started his career as professor at the ESSEC Business School and Sciences Po Paris. He migrated to his Alma Mater ESCP Europe where he acted as Head of the Marketing Department. Since 2011 he is the School’s Director of Brand and Communication Europe.
Andreas M. Kaplan started doing his research in the areas of mass customization, innovation, customer lifetime valuation, and relationship marketing. Since then he focuses on analyzing and decrypting social media. In particular his article “Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of social media” published in Business Horizons co-authored with Michael Haenlein is widely cited (e.g. over 1200 times on Google Scholar) and known in the field. In 2011 it ranked first in the Science Direct “Top 25 Hottest Articles”  in the category Business, Management, and Accounting and #16 across all categories. In 2012 it ranked again first in the Science Direct “Top 25 Hottest Articles”  in the category Business, Management, and Accounting and improved its position to #2 across all categories. In 2013 Professor Kaplan receives the annual Best Article Award from Business Horizons, sponsored by Elsevier, for his paper “If you love something, let it go mobile: Mobile marketing and mobile social media 4x4”.
- Kaplan Andreas M. (2012) If you love something, let it go mobile: Mobile marketing and mobile social media 4x4, Business Horizons, 55(2), 129-139
- Kaplan Andreas M., Haenlein Michael (2012) The Britney Spears universe: Social media and viral marketing at its best, Business Horizons, 55(1), 27-31
- Kaplan Andreas (2011) Social media between the real and the virtual: How Facebook, YouTube & Co. can become an extension of the real life of their users - and sometimes even more, Prospective Strategique, 38 (Mars), 8-13
- Kaplan A.M., Haenlein M. (2011) The early bird catches the news: Nine things you should know about micro-blogging, Business Horizons, 54(2), 105-113
- Kaplan A.M., Haenlein M. (2011) Two hearts in 3/4 time: How to waltz the Social Media – Viral Marketing dance, Business Horizons, 54(3), 253-263
- Kaplan Andreas M., Haenlein Michael (2010) Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of social media, Business Horizons, 53(1), 59-68
- Kaplan A.M., Haenlein M. (2006) Toward a Parsimonious Definition of Traditional and Electronic Mass Customization, Journal of Product Innovation management, 23(2), 168-182
- Kaplan Andreas, Haenlein Michael, Schoder Detlef (2006) Valuing the real option of abandoning unprofitable customers when calculating customer lifetime value, Journal of Marketing, 70(3), 5-20
- "Marquis Who’s Who in the World".(subscription required)
- "Science Direct Top 25 Hottest Articles 2011 – Business, Management, and Accounting".
- "Science Direct Top 25 Hottest Articles 2011 – All Categories".
- "Science Direct Top 25 Hottest Articles 2012 – Business, Management, and Accounting".
- "Science Direct Top 25 Hottest Articles 2012 – All Categories".
- "Seminal paper on social media by Professor Kaplan and Haenlein Science Direct's ‘Hottest Article’ for the second time".
- "Mobile Social Media: Professor Andreas Kaplan receives Best Article Award 2012 from Business Horizons".