|Member of the Hellenic Parliament|
April 9, 2000
|Minister for Labour and Social Security|
October 7, 2009 – September 7, 2010
|Prime Minister||George Papandreou|
|Preceded by||Fani Palli-Petralia|
|Succeeded by||Louka Katseli|
|Minister for Health and Social Solidarity|
September 7, 2010 – May 17, 2012
|Prime Minister||George Papandreou|
|Preceded by||Mariliza Xenogiannakopoulou|
|Succeeded by||Christos kittas|
May 15, 1956 |
|Alma mater||Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (PhD)|
Andeas Loverdos was born on 15 May 1956, in Patras, Greece. He graduated from the Law School of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in 1978. During his studies, he served as the Vice-President of the students union of the Law School of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki as well as the President of the Greek students in Belgium.
From 1978 until 1980, he fulfilled his obligatory military service in the Hellenic Air Force. In 1982, he completed his Post-Graduate Studies in European Law, in the Institute for European Studies in Brussels, Belgium.
In 1986, Andreas Loverdos completed his Ph.D. with the thesis "Terrorism and Political Crime. Study from the Perspective of Law" in the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. In 1991 he completed his six months research in the Open University of Brussels and London School of Economics on issues related with governmental functions and in 1996 his 6 months research in Boston University on issues related to the function of Democratic Constitutions.
Andreas Loverdos was Associate Professor of Constitutional Law in the Panteion University until 1986, when he was appointed as Lecturer for the Department of Post-Graduate studies, a post that he held until 1992. From 1992 until 1995, Andreas Loverdos worked as a full Professor of Constitutional Law.
He is an author in numerous articles and scientific research journals.
A leading cadre of the Panhellenic Socialist Movement, he was first elected to the Hellenic Parliament in the 2000 legislative election. From 3 January 2002 until 7 March 2004 he served as Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs.
In October 2009 he was appointed as a Minister for Employment and Social Security. He held the post until September 2010, when he was appointed to the post of Minister for Health and Social Solidarity.
Andreas Loverdos is married .
- Προσηλυτισμός [Proselytism], Athens 1986, Ant. Sakkoulas Pub.
- Για την τρομοκρατία και το πολιτικό έγκλημα [On terrorism and political crime], Athens 1987, Interbooks Pub.
- Παρεκκλίσεις πολιτικής συμπεριφοράς και Σύνταγμα [Deviations of political behaviour and the Constitution], Athens 1988, Exantas Pub.
- Κυβέρνηση : συλλογική λειτουργία και πολιτική ευθύνη [Government: collective function and political responsibility], Athens 1991, Ant. Sakkoulas Pub.
- Η ποινική ευθύνη των μελών της Κυβέρνησης και των υφυπουργών στο κοινοβουλευτικό πολίτευμα [Penal responsibility of cabinet members and deputy ministers in a parliamentary polity], Athens 1995, Ant. Sakkoulas Pub.
- Μορφές του Δημοκρατικού Πολιτεύματος [Forms of Democracy], Athens 2000, Indiktos Pub.
- Πολιτική Ιστορία της Ελλάδας, 1828–1975 [Political History of Greece, 1828–1975], Athens 2000, Ant. Sakkoulas Pub.
- Η ΝΕΑ ΤΡΟΜΟΚΡΑΤΙΑ με αφορμή την 11η Σεπτεμβρίου [NEW TERRORISM on the occasion of September 11], Athens 2002, Indiktos Pub.
- Tο Σύνταγμα της Ελλάδας και η αναθεώρησή του [The Constitution of Greece and its revision], Athens 2006, To Pontiki Pub.
- Biography of Andreas Loverdos in the Official Website of the Hellenic Parliament (Greek) - (English)
- Biography of Andreas Loverdos (Greek)
|Minister for Employment and Social Security
October 7, 2009-September 7, 2010
|Minister for Health and Social Solidarity
September 7, 2010-