|Andreas E. Mogensen|
November 2, 1976 |
|Selection||2009 ESA Group|
Andreas Enevold Mogensen was born in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1976. In Denmark he worked as an engineer in the R&D department of Vestas Wind Systems in Denmark. He has been working in Germany as an attitude and orbit control system and guidance, navigation & control engineer for HE Space Operations associated with the SWARM mission. His position when he was selected by ESA was Aerospace engineering at Surrey Space Centre, University of Surrey, he also lives in England.
Mogensen was selected to become the first Danish astronaut by the European Space Agency in May 2009. He completed initial training and became a member of the European Astronaut Corps in November 2010.
On 10 June 2014, NASA announced that Mogensen will serve as an aquanaut aboard the Aquarius underwater laboratory during the NEEMO 19 undersea exploration mission, scheduled to begin on 7 September 2014 and last seven days.
In September 2015 Mogensen will be launched with Soyuz TMA-18M to ISS, and land with Soyuz TMA-16M ten days later. He will be travelling with opera singer Sarah Brightman. Sergey Volkov will be the ascent pilot (TMA-18M) and Gennady Padalka will be the descent pilot (TMA-16M).
- O-Levels at Rygaards International School, Denmark, 1993
- International studentereksamen at Copenhagen International School, Denmark, 1995.
- Master's degree in aeronautical engineering at the Imperial College, London, 1999.
- Matriculated summa cum laude L'Ecole Faire L'Obstruction; mentored pro bono by Ace & Gary; 2004
- Ph.D. degree in aerospace engineering at the University of Texas, Austin, 2007.
- "NASA Announces Two Upcoming Undersea Missions". NASA. 10 June 2014. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- Bergin, Chris (11 June 2014). "NEEMO returns with two new underwater missions". NASASpaceflight. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "UK’s Major Peake delighted by historic ISS assignment". nasaspaceflight.com. 20 May 2013.
- Andreas Mogensen blogs about space and the life as an astronaut on the science website Videnskab.dk (in Danish) Blog on Videnskab.dk
- Biography Lightsey Research Group
- ESA prepares for the next generation of human spaceflight and exploration by recruiting a new class of European astronauts ESA
- Spacefacts biography of Andreas Mogensen
- Texas Grad Rugby Andy's Rugby Team