|Member of the European Parliament for Cyprus|
|Member of the House of Representatives of Cyprus|
6 September 1977 |
|Political party||Democratic Rally|
|Alma mater||National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki|
He studied Theology at National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and was awarded a scholarship for his excellent performance. He then went on to complete his Master of Arts degree at the Trinity College of Cambridge in Ancient Hebrew Language and Culture. He then pursued and achieved a second Master’s Degree in the subject of Sociology in the New Testament at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. He also served as a Research Associate at the same institution.
- Worked for ten years as a researcher at the Research Institute of the Holy Kykkos Monastery in Archaggelos, where he completed an innovative translation project of the Bible from its original ancient language.
- Participated in many international conferences representing both the Church of Cyprus at the Middle East Church Council, as well as the World Forum for Religions and Cultures, of which he served as member of the Executive Secretariat. He has also represented the Church of Cyprus in meetings of the European People’s Party and Orthodox Churches, initially in Bucharest in 2002.
- In 2003 he served as Secretary of the Scientific Council for the founding of a Theology and Cultural Studies School in Cyprus.
- In 2007 he served as Director of Charity and Social Welfare of the Holy Monastery of Kykkos and Tylliria, and was responsible for the official publications of the Bishopric, its human resources and its multifarious activities in general. He represented the Kykkos Bishopric at the European Parliament in 2008, where he gave a presentation which covered the destruction of religious heritage in the occupied side of Cyprus.
- In 2009 he was selected by then DISY President and now President of Cyprus Nikos Anastasiades as first choice candidate for the European Elections.
- Member of Political Office of Democratic Rally since 2009 and in 2012 was appointed Environmental Commissioner for DISY.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the DISY Cultural Institution.
- Nicosia assembly man for DISY since May 2011 and Secretary for the House of Representatives.
- Member of Parliamentary Committees for Education, Defense, Labor, Human Rights and Environment.
- Member of the European Parliament since March 2013, succeeding Minister of Foreign Affairs Ioannis Kasoulides, following Nikos Anastasiades election as President of Cyprus.
- Member of the European People’s Party political group.
- Member of the Development Commission and Budget Commission of the European Union. He is also a part of the Union for the Mediterranean, a member of the Delegation of the European Union to Japan and a member of the Delegation of the European Union to the Palestinian Legislative Council.
- Voluminous translation of Old and New Testament from original Hebrew, Aramaic and ancient Greek scriptures.
- Upcoming publication which describes the geopolitical, geo-economic and geostrategic role of the European Union.
- Scientific comment to the Cyprus Organ Donor Committee of the Cyprus Health Ministry on the subject of the beginning and definitive end of human life from bioethical point of view.
- History of 386 Infantry Battalion during the Turkish Invasion in Cyprus.
- Postgraduate study on the subject of the influence of Apostle Barnabas to the Ancient Church and Cyprus.
- Scientific publication regarding the Gospel of St. Mark on the occasion of the inauguration of the church of the Apostle Mark in Strovolos.
- Scientific announcements in Volumes A’ and B’ in the World Forum for Religions and Cultures.
- Supervised numerous publications as a Researcher at the Research Institute of the Holy Kykkos Monastery, i.e. History of Asia Minor Campaign by General Athanasios Nikolodimos.
- Declared honorary member of the World Forum for Religions and Cultures.
- Awarded by the Famagusta Medical Association for his contribution to the subject of organ transplants.
- Awarded the gold medal of Pope Benedict VI from the Maronite Archibishopric of Cyprus for his service and assistance during the visit of Pope Benedict in Cyprus.
- Honored for his social and charitable activity from the all the Lions Clubs in Cyprus, from the “Hope” foundation for children suffering from cancer and many other Scout Movements.
- Award of distinction by the Cyprus Red Cross for his contribution in the field of Youth.
|Find more about Andreas Pitsillides at Wikipedia's sister projects|
|Definitions and translations from Wiktionary|
|Media from Commons|
|Quotations from Wikiquote|
|Source texts from Wikisource|
|Textbooks from Wikibooks|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|