||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013)|
28 August 1991
Tuzla, SR Bosnia and Herzegovina, Yugoslavia
|Ethnicity||Bosnian Serb-Bosnian Croat|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Eye color||Blue / Grey|
|Measurements||36-30-35 (US) 91.5-76-89 (EU)|
|Shoe size||UK 10|
Pejić was born in Tuzla and has one older brother, Igor. Pejić's mother, Jadranka Savić, is a Bosnian Serb, and Pejić's father, Vlado Pejić, is a Bosnian Croat. The couple divorced shortly after Andrej's birth. During the Bosnian War, Andrej and Igor fled to Serbia with their mother and grandmother, settling in a refugee camp near Belgrade. After the refugee camp, the family settled in Vojska village near Svilajnac.
After the 1999 NATO bombing of Serbia, Pejić's mother felt unsafe and decided to initiate the immigration process for Australia. In 2000, the family moved to Melbourne, Victoria, Australia as political refugees when Andrej was eight years old.
It has been reported that Pejić was scouted as a model just before turning 17 while working at McDonald's, but she has also referenced being scouted at a swimming pool whilst still in high school in Melbourne.
Pejić is notable for modelling both male and female clothing. In the Paris fashion shows of January 2011, Pejić walked both the men's and women's shows for Jean-Paul Gaultier and the men's shows for Marc Jacobs. In May 2011, Pejić's magazine cover for the New York-based magazine Dossier Journal—in which Pejić is pictured taking off a white shirt with long blond locks in curlers—was ruled too risqué by US bookstores Barnes & Noble and Borders, which covered the image with an opaque sleeve. Concerns were expressed that customers would mistake Pejić for a topless woman.
At the Stylenite in July 2011, Andrej Pejić appeared on the catwalk both in male and female clothes from Michalsky. The following year, Andrej stunned audiences by wearing bridal creations by Spanish designer Rosa Clara at Barcelona’s Bridal Week 2013.
As of September 2011[update], Pejić ranks no. 18 on the models.com Top 50 Male Models list, and was ranked no. 98 in FHM magazine's 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2011— an award that was criticized for its hostile tone to transgender individuals; the magazine referred to Pejić as a 'thing,' commenting, 'Pass the sick bucket'. FHM subsequently removed the copy accompanying Pejić's entry and posted an apology.
On 6 August 2012, Pejić appeared as a guest judge on Britain & Ireland's Next Top Model.
In an interview published in October 2013, Pejić stated that she prefers to be referred to by female pronouns.
- Casey Legler, a French woman who has signed exclusively as a male model
- "Andrej Pejic - 98th Sexiest Woman in the World - FHM". YouTube.com. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- Delany, Max (2010-12-14). "Melbourne's gender-bender model Andrej Pejic is red hot". Herald Sun. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "Blic Online | Mama Andreja Pejića: "Skoči mi pritisak kad čitam komentare o mom sinu"". Blic.rs. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- Naš Andrej je lep ko lutka!; Alo! Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "ninemsn; Caroline Overington: "Raising my androgynous son"". Retrieved 2013-05-31.
- Williamson, Charlotte (2011-02-20). "Andrej Pejic: Who's that boy?". Telegraph. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "Exclusive interview: Andrej Pejic". YouTube. 2011-02-13. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "Barnes & Noble, Borders Censor Bare-Chested Male Model | Pejic". Theage.com.au. 2011-05-17. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "Male model Andrej Pejic shines as best 'bride' at Barcelona Bridal Week". Jezebel.com. 2011-05-16. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "Barnes & Noble Censors Cover Featuring Androgynous Male Model". hellomagazine.com. 2012-05-09. Retrieved 2013-11-24.
- "Andrej Pejic – Model Profile – Photos & latest news". Models.com. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "FHM's 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2011 | Girls". FHM.com. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "Andrej Pejic Is Not A Person | Lela London – Style Guide and Fashion Blog". 2011-12-15. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- FHM: Andrej Pejic apology
- "The Stars (Are Out Tonight) VIDEO EXCLUSIVE". Facebook. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "Andrej Pejic". La Monda. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- Williamson, Charlotte. "Andrej Pejic: Who's that boy?", The Daily Telegraph, 20 February 2011, accessed 8 March 2011.
- Hauck, Brigitt. "Andrej Pejic: The man modelling womenswear", BBC News, 24 February 2011, accessed 8 March 2011.
- White, Belinda. "Jean Paul Gaultier shows Andrej Pejic the love", The Daily Telegraph, 27 February 2011, accessed 8 March 2011.
- Article in the Huffington Post, January 2011
- A man modelling women’s underwear?, 14 December 2011, accessed 14 December 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Andrej Pejic.|