28 August 1991
Tuzla, SR Bosnia and Herzegovina, Yugoslavia
|Ethnicity||Bosnian Serb-Bosnian Croat|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Hair color||Blonde light|
|Measurements||36-30-35 (US) 91.5-76-89 (EU)|
|Shoe size||UK 10|
Andreja Pejić (English pronunciation: / / or //) (born Andrej Pejić, 28 August 1991) is an Australian model of Bosnian Croat and Bosnian Serb ethnicity. Pejić is a transgender woman, who until 2014 was billed as an "androgynous" male model, self-described as living "in between genders".
Pejić was born in Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina and has one older brother, Igor. Pejić's mother, Jadranka Savić (Cyrillic Script: Јадранка Савић), is a Bosnian Serb, and Pejić's father, Vlado Pejić, is a Bosnian Croat. The couple divorced shortly after Pejić's birth. During the Bosnian War, Pejić and Igor fled to Serbia with their mother and grandmother, settling in a refugee camp near Belgrade. After the refugee camp, the family settled in Vojska village near Svilajnac.
After the 1999 NATO bombing of Serbia, Pejić's mother felt unsafe and decided to initiate the process of emigration to Australia. In 2000, the family moved to Melbourne, Victoria, Australia as political refugees when Pejić was eight years old.
It has been reported that Pejić was scouted as a model just before turning 17 while working at McDonald's, but she has also referenced being scouted at a swimming pool whilst still in high school in Melbourne.
Pejić is notable for modelling both masculine and feminine clothing. In the Paris fashion shows of January 2011, Pejić walked both the men's and women's shows for Jean-Paul Gaultier and the men's shows for Marc Jacobs. In May 2011, her magazine cover for the New York-based magazine Dossier Journal—in which Pejić is pictured taking off a white shirt with long blond locks in curlers—was ruled too risqué by US bookstores Barnes & Noble and Borders, which covered the image with an opaque sleeve. Concerns were expressed that customers would read Pejić as a topless woman.
At the Stylenite in July 2011, Pejić appeared on the catwalk both in masculine and feminine clothes from Michalsky. The following year, she stunned audiences by wearing bridal creations by Spanish designer Rosa Clara at Barcelona’s Bridal Week 2013.
In 2011 Pejić ranked No. 18 on the models.com Top 50 Male Models list, was named one of Out's Most Compelling People, and was ranked No. 98 in FHM magazine's 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2011— an award that was criticized for its hostile tone to transgender individuals, especially transgender women; the magazine referred to Pejić as a "thing", commenting, "Pass the sick bucket." FHM subsequently removed the copy accompanying Pejić's entry and posted an apology.
- Casey Legler, a French woman who has signed exclusively as a male model.
- "Andreja Pejic Storm Models". Stormmodels.com. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Andrej Pejic – 98th Sexiest Woman in the World – FHM". YouTube.com. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Delany, Max (14 December 2010). "Melbourne's gender-bender model Andrej Pejic is red hot". Herald Sun. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Andrej Pejic". La Monda. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Blic Online | Mama Andrej Pejic: "Skoči mi pritisak kad čitam komentare o mom sinu"". Blic.rs. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- Naš Andrej je lep ko lutka!; Alo! Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Andrej Pejic Vogue: Androgynous Model Appears Nude In Vogue Brazil". Fashion and Styler. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Andrej Pejic". Vogue. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "ninemsn; Caroline Overington: "Raising my androgynous son"". Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- Williamson, Charlotte (20 February 2011). "Andrej Pejic: Who's that boy?". Telegraph. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Exclusive interview: Andrej Pejic". YouTube. 13 February 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Barnes & Noble, Borders Censor Bare-Chested Male Model | Pejic". Theage.com.au. 17 May 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Male model Andrej Pejic shines as best 'bride' at Barcelona Bridal Week". Jezebel.com. 16 May 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Androgynous Model Andrej Pejic Walks the Ramp for Jean Paul Gaultier". International Business Times. 4 May 2012. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Barnes & Noble Censors Cover Featuring Androgynous Male Model". hellomagazine.com. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "Andrej Pejic – Model Profile – Photos & latest news". Models.com. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "FHM's 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2011 | Girls". FHM.com. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Andrej Pejic Is Not A Person | Lela London – Style Guide and Fashion Blog". 15 December 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- FHM: Andrej Pejic apology at FH.com; published 30 May 2011; retrieved 20 April 2014
- "Androgynous model Andrej Pejic appears on Britain and Ireland’s Next Top Model". Yahoo. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "The Stars (Are Out Tonight) VIDEO EXCLUSIVE". Facebook. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- Zuckerman, Blaine (24 July 2014). "Andrej Pejic Now Andreja After Sex Reassignment Surgery – Health, Plastic Surgery". People.com. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- Williamson, Charlotte. "Andrej Pejic: Who's that boy?", The Daily Telegraph, 20 February 2011, accessed 8 March 2011.
- Hauck, Brigitt. "Andrej Pejic: The man modelling womenswear", BBC News, 24 February 2011, accessed 8 March 2011.
- White, Belinda. "Jean Paul Gaultier shows Andrej Pejic the love", The Daily Telegraph, 27 February 2011, accessed 8 March 2011.
- "Andrej Pejic, Androgynous Model, In High Demand", Huffington Post, January 2011
- A man modelling women’s underwear?, 14 December 2011, accessed 14 December 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Andrej Pejic.|