Andrew Bailey (baseball)
|Boston Red Sox – No. 40|
May 31, 1984 |
Voorhees, New Jersey
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|April 6, 2009 for the Oakland Athletics|
(through June 15, 2013)
|Earned run average||2.52|
|Career highlights and awards|
Andrew Scott Bailey (born May 31, 1984) is an American professional baseball pitcher with the Boston Red Sox of Major League Baseball (MLB). Bailey won the 2009 American League Rookie of the Year Award while closing games for the Oakland Athletics. He was named to the 2009 and 2010 All-Star teams as well.
From Wagner College, he was selected by the Oakland Athletics in the sixth round (188th overall) of the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft. Bailey started off the season on the Athletics' AA affiliate, the Midland Rockhounds. Bailey participated in the 2008 Arizona Fall League as a member of the Phoenix Desert Dogs. He made the Athletics Opening Day 25-man roster for the 2009 season as a long shot. Bailey was selected to represent the Athletics in the 2009 MLB All-Star Game in St. Louis. Bailey broke the Athletics rookie save record on September 12 against the Minnesota Twins with his 24th save of the season.
After a final line of 26 saves and a 1.84 ERA, Bailey was named 2009 American League Rookie of the Year on November 16, 2009.
On September 12, 2011, Bailey was hit right above the temple by a line drive in batting practice. He felt fine, passed concussion tests, and sat out the next few days. He returned to action to face the Tigers a few games later.
Boston Red Sox
On December 28, 2011, Bailey and Ryan Sweeney were traded from Oakland to the Boston Red Sox for Josh Reddick and two minor leaguers (20-year-old third baseman Miles Head and 19-year-old righty Raul Alcantara). On April 4, 2012, it was announced that Bailey would require reconstructive surgery on this right thumb and that he will begin the 2012 season on the disabled list. Bailey was not expected to pitch again for the Red Sox until after the All-Star break in July 2012. Bailey made his 2012 debut with the Red Sox on August 14, pitching a third of an inning in a loss to Baltimore. Bailey finished the 2012 season with 15.1 innings pitched, a 7.04 ERA and a 1.89 WHIP.
- Urban, Mychael. Bailey takes AL rookie award, MLB.com. Published November 16, 2009. Retrieved November 16, 2009.
- Slusser, Susan. "A’s Andrew Bailey out tonight after being hit by line drive". The San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 1 October 2011.
- Kruth, Cash (28 December 2011). "Red Sox acquire closer Bailey from A's". MLB.com. Retrieved 28 December 2011.
- Seidel, Jeff (04 April 2012). "Bailey needs surgery, out until All-Star break". MLB.com. Retrieved 04 April 2012.
- "Joel Hanrahan is coming, but Red Sox closer Andrew Bailey will be hard to displace". The Republican. Retrieved 29 April 2013. Text " masslive.com" ignored (help)
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Andrew Bailey on Twitter