||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
Andy Biersack performing with Black Veil Brides in New York on January 25, 2013
|Birth name||Andrew Dennis Biersack|
|Also known as||Andy Six, Andy Black|
December 26, 1990 |
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
|Genres||Glam metal, hard rock, melodic metalcore (early), post-hardcore (early)|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, keyboard, bass, synthesizer, guitar, cello|
|Labels||Lava, Universal Republic, Standby|
|Associated acts||Black Veil Brides|
Andrew Dennis "Andy" Biersack (born December 26, 1990) is an American singer-songwriter, bassist, and pianist. He is the founder and lead vocalist for the American rock band Black Veil Brides. In May 2014, he started a solo music project under the moniker Andy Black. As a kid Andy grew up listening and was influenced by bands such as KISS and Mötley Crüe and wanted to create a band that would be a combination of the two bands he loved.
Early life and education
He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio.
For his early education, Biersack attended a Catholic elementary school, which he has spoken of in many interviews. Because of the way Andy dressed, and the music he listened to (i.e. The Misfits, A7X, The Damned, The Dropkick Murphies, etc.), he was the target of bullying at school. This bullying is re-enacted in the "Knives and Pens" music video. In high school, Biersack attended Cincinnati's School for Creative and Performing Arts, and majored in drama and vocal music. He left school before graduating to move to Los Angeles to further his potential career, two days after he turned 18.
Early Acts and Black Veil Brides
At age 16, Andy Biersack and a few of his friends formed their first band, called "Biersack" (although they only played one show). This project eventually grew into what would later be known as Black Veil Brides. In September 2009 Black Veil Brides signed with the independent label StandBy Records. The writing process for a tour and a record began immediately. In 2009 they released their first music video "Knives and Pens" which to date has garnered over 100 million combined views. The band embarked on their first US tour, titled "On Leather Wings". The group's debut album We Stitch These Wounds was released July 20, 2010 and sold over 10,000 copies in its first week, ranking at No. 36 on the Billboard Top 200 chart, and No. 1 on the Billboard Independent chart. The band's second studio album, Set the World on Fire was released on June 14, 2011 through Lava Music/Universal Republic Records. The band's third album, Wretched and Divine: The Story of the Wild Ones, was released on January 8, 2013. Their most recent album, Black Veil Brides or BVB4, came out a year after on October 28, 2014.
On May 2014, Biersack revealed to Kerrang! magazine that he had been working on new music outside of Black Veil Brides, of which he will be called 'Andy Black'. He explains that his solo project will have a radically different sound compared to the band, and that he felt that he couldn't create that sound within the band, so decided to take it on as a solo artist. Andy's inspiration for this project was his love for '80s synth and goth music, and will be working with former Black Veil Brides producer John Feldmann. Despite this project, he reassured his fans that this does not mean this is his primary focus, and that this is more of a hobby or a side-project. On May 19, he premiered his first song titled They Don't Need to Understand online with a music video via Hot Topic.
During high school Biersack moved to Los Angeles, California for a short time to take up acting. He had a small part in the AT&T commercial "Confetti", as well as a 30-second spot in the Montana Meth commercial "Jumped". Andy also guest stars in the Funny or Die web series Average Joe on YouTube. He also starred in the Black Veil Brides full-length feature film, Legion of the Black, which was released on January 6, 2013, to support the band's album.
In an interview with Loudwire, Biersack said, "I’m not a religious person but I grew up in a religious family. I went to the funeral for my grandfather, a person that I love very much, and everyone is speaking about how he went to Heaven and how he’s in Heaven. I always fight with that, because I would love nothing more to believe that my grandfather is in the clouds playing Xbox 460 [sic] or whatever awesome stuff they have up in Heaven, but I can’t."
Biersack has suffered quite a few injuries while performing with Black Veil Brides, most notably his fall from a 15-foot (4.6 m) pillar on June 18, 2011 in Hollywood. In an attempt to jump back onto the stage, he fell forward and hit his chest on the edge, which resulted in 3 ribs shattered (3 lower left), and one displaced. That particular injury caused Black Veil Brides to have to miss the first week of the Vans Warped Tour in 2011. On October 26, 2011, while on another tour in the UK, Biersack broke his nose on the drum riser while performing a gig in Luxembourg, resulting in more missed tour dates. However, two days later, he performed with Black Veil Brides in London.
In an interview with Revolver Magazine, Biersack stated:
|“||I never anticipated seeing 40. I smoke two packs a day and drink like a camel. I just don’t really think about death. I know I’m gonna die one day, but if I can achieve all of my goals and live exactly the way I want to before then, I’ll have no regrets when I die. I don’t try to hurt myself like Iggy Pop or Marilyn Manson or anything — it’s just the byproduct of the chaos of being on stage.||”|
Biersack's stage name was previously "Andy Six" up until around 2011 when he decided that he preferred to be called by his family/birth name, Andy Biersack, although he still accepts "Six" as a nickname. He also uses the stage name "Andy Black" in his solo project which he announced in May 2014.
- With Black Veil Brides
- We Stitch These Wounds (2010)
- Set the World on Fire (2011)
- Wretched and Divine: The Story of the Wild Ones (2013)
- Black Veil Brides (2014)
|"They Don't Need To Understand"||2014||TBA|
As featured artist
|"Asshole"||2014||Ronnie Radke||Watch Me - Mixtape|
|"They Don't Need To Understand"||2014||TBA||Patrick Fogarty||Performance|||
|2011||Andy Biersack||Revolver Magazine's 100 Greatest Living Rock Stars 2011||Won||—|
|2012||Andy Biersack||Revolver Magazine's Golden God Awards: Best Vocalist 2012||Nominated||—|
|2012||Andy Biersack||Kerrang! Award for Hottest Male 2012||Nominated||—|
|2012||Andy Biersack||Kerrang!'s 50 Greatest Rock Stars in the World Today||Won||4th|
|"—" denotes a nomination that did not place or places were not relevant in the award.|
- Karan, Tim (2011-04-13). "Black Veil Brides vocalist Andy Six to go by actual last name". Altpress.com. Retrieved 2014-06-25.
- Lymangrover, Jason (June 14, 2011). "Set the World on Fire – Black Veil Brides : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". Allmusic.
- "Black Veil Brides Drop Debut Album". Guitar World. April 14, 2011.
- "Black Veil Brides – Set the World on Fire CD Album". Cduniverse.com. June 14, 2011.
- APTV: The Making Of Andy Biersack (Part 1 of 5) on YouTube from 0:45 to 1:40. Alternative Press. 19 November 2013. Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- Black Veil Brides (2009). Black Veil Brides "Knives and Pens" OFFICIAL VIDEO. Retrieved January 2014.
- Petteri Pertola (June 8, 2011). "Black Veil Brides - Rockfreaks.net". Rockfreaks.net. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- April 6, 2011 (2011-04-06). "Black Veil Brides Interview". UGO.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- Black Veil Brides featured in Billboard Magazine TheGauntlet.com 2010-07-08. Retrieved 2010-11-18
- "Black Veil Brides We Stitch These Wounds Awards". Allmusic.com. AllMusic. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- Heisel, Scott. "Black Veil Brides - Set The World On Fire". AltPress.com. AltPress. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- Ableson, Jon. "Black Veil Brides Announce New Album "Wretched And Divine: The Story Of The Wild Ones" Release Date; Reveal Track Listing". Alterthepress.com. Alter the Press. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- Bryant, Tom (17 May 2014). "Back In Black". Kerrang!. p. 05.
- Carter, Emily. "Andy Biersack Streams First Song from Solo Project Andy Black". Kerrang.com. Kerrang!. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- . Funny or Die.
- RockRevolt Magazine (2013-01-17). "January/February 2013 Digital issue: BLACK VEIL BRIDES". RockRevolt Magazine™.
- Liz Ramanand (December 13, 2012). "Black Veil Brides Singer Andy Biersack: I Think Everybody Is 'Wretched and Divine'". Loudwire. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "Black Veil Brides' Andy Biersack shatters four ribs after 15 foot fall - video | News". Nme.Com. 2011-06-20. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "Black Veil Brides lead singer Andy Biersack... - BryanStars Interviews". Bryanstars.com. 2011-06-19. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "Alternative Press | Features | Exclusive Interview: Andy Biersack of Black Veil Brides discusses his fall, injuries". Altpress.com. 2011-06-22. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET - BLACK VEIL BRIDES Frontman Breaks Nose During Luxembourg Concert (Photo)". Legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- Jon Wiederhorn (2011-12-14). "Black Veil Brides’ Andy Biersack Picks His Top Five Stage Injuries in 2011 - Revolver Magazine". Revolvermag.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "Ronnie Radkes Mixtape Website". RonnieRadkeMixtape. Ronnie Radke. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "Congrats To Revolver Magazine & Their 100th Issue m/ | PiercingMetal Musings". Piercingmetal.com. 2011-12-16. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- Brandon Geist (2011-12-13). "Revolver’s Mega 100th Issue—Featuring the 100 Greatest Living Rock Stars—on Newsstands Now - Revolver Magazine". Revolvermag.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "Golden Gods 2012: The Winners | News @". Ultimate-guitar.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "Kerrang! And the nominees are". Kerrang.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.