Andrew Davenport (born 10 June 1965) is an award-winning English producer, writer and composer specialising in creating television and publishing for young children.
He is renowned for creating high-volume and technologically pioneering character-based productions, designed for developmentally specific audiences that appeal successfully to their target age group.
In March 2012 Andrew Davenport became CEO of Shine Group’s children’s venture focusing on creating both traditional and interactive content for children, initially for the pre-school market.
Andrew Davenport was born in Folkestone, Kent. He went to Hayes School then studied Bsc Speech Sciences (vocational training for Speech Therapists) at University College London, and the National Hospitals College of Speech Sciences (NHCSS).
He was President of University College London Drama Society in 1986/7, and on graduating he set up a theatre company with performing partner Kate France, appearing at the Richard Demarco Gallery, Edinburgh, the Institute of Contemporary Arts and Serpentine Gallery, London, the Théâtre de la Bastille, Paris, and the Yermolova Theatre, Moscow.
Davenport is the model in the 1992 Gilbert & George work ‘Eyes’.
2002-2003 Davenport wrote the BAFTA winning series ‘Teletubbies Everywhere’ (52 x 10 minutes)
- BAFTAs In the Night Garden... - Best Pre-school Live Action Award 2007 and 2008
- BAFTA Teletubbies Everywhere - Best Pre-school Live Action Award 2002
- Royal Television Society Teletubbies - Best Pre-school and Infants Award 2000
- BAFTA Teletubbies - Best Pre-school Programme 1998
- Royal Television Society Teletubbies - 24th Japan Prize International Contest, Grand Prize-winner, Pre-school Education Category 1997
- Royal Television Society Teletubbies - Children's Entertainment Award 1997
- BAFTA Tots TV - Best Pre-school Programme 1996 and 1997
- "Andrew Davenport: Ooo, what's all the fuss? - Telegraph", The Telegraph, 17 January 2008.
- "In the Night Garden: Bedtime for Teletubbies – The Independent", The Independent, 18 April 2007.
- "Night Fever – The Observer Magazine", The Observer Magazine, 25 November 2008.
- "Andrew Davenport". shinegroup.tv. Shine Group. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "FIRST PERSON: IN THE NIGHT GARDEN". UCL PEOPLE (July–December 2008): 10. Archived from the original on 2010-04-10.
- Andrew Davenport at the Internet Movie Database
- "BAFTA – Best Pre-school Live-Action Award - In the Night Garden...", 2007.
- "BAFTA – Best Pre-school Live-Action Award - In the Night Garden...", 2008.
- "BAFTA – Best Pre-school Live-Action Award - Teletubbies Everywhere", 2002.
- Awards for Andrew Davenport at the Internet Movie Database
- "Royal Television Society – Best Pre-school and Infants Award - Teletubbies", 2000.
- "BAFTA – Best Pre-school Programme Award - Teletubbies", 1998.
- "24th Japan Prize International Contest, Grand Prize-winner, Pre-school Education Category - Teletubbies", 1997.
- "Royal Television Society – Children’s Entertainment Award - Teletubbies", 1997.
- "BAFTA – Best Pre-school Programme Award - Tots TV", 1996.
- "BAFTA – Best Pre-school Programme Award - Tots TV", 1997.
- In the Night Garden Live: A theatrical spectacular - for toddlers, The Telegraph, 25 July 2013
- An interview with Andrew Davenport - 'In the Night Garden...',, The Observer, 25 November 2007
- Channel 4 News interview with Andrew Davenport following the death of Oliver Postgate