Andrew Hill High School
Andrew Putnam Hill High School is a secondary school located in San Jose, California which opened in 1956, and educates students in grades 9–12. It is part of the East Side Union High School District (ESUHSD). As of 2007, the school principal is Ms. Bettina Lopez. Currently, the Associate Principal of Education is Mr. Hector Flores. The Associate Principal of Administration is Mr. Bjorn Berg. The Activities Director is Dr. McCusker. The Boy's Athletic Director is Mr. Greg Dunlap. The Girl's Athletic Director is Mr. Jonathan Mach.
There is an ongoing movement to make the school a charter school. However, this push was rejected by district trustees , though the effort is continuing . If the effort succeeds, Andrew Hill will become the largest charter school in Northern California.
As of 2006, 45% of the school's students qualify for the free lunch program, compared to the district average of 25%.
As of 2010, 55% of the school's students qualify for the federally subsidized lunches, the best measure of the percentage of low-income students at each school.
This school is famous for its International Baccalaureate (IB) and MAGNET program. According to Newsweek Magazine's 2010 ranking of the best 1600 high school in America, Andrew Hill is ranked 390. This means they are ranked second in San Jose (Mission San Jose is in the city of Fremont(ranked 169)) behind Lynbrook (ranked 212).
Notable alumni 
- George Achica, former lineman in the USFL and NFL
- Steve Caballero, professional skateboarder
- Captain Jason M. Dahl, pilot of United Airlines Flight 93; Hillsdale Elementary School was renamed Captain Jason M. Dahl Elementary School in his honor 
- Mervyn Fernandez, former wide receiver in the CFL and NFL
- Mike Honda, congressman for California's 15th congressional district
- Jim McMahon, former NFL quarterback (attended 1973-1975)
- Miguel Perez, actor and writer
- Andrew X. Pham, author of Catfish and Mandala: A Two-Wheeled Voyage Through the Landscape and Memory of Vietnam
See also 
- Herel, Suzanne. "School to get a hero's name; Flight 93 pilot was a graduate of San Jose's Hillsdale Elementary." San Francisco Chronicle. March 23, 2002. News; page A-1.
- Sinisi, J. Sebastian. "School named for pilot 9/11 hero who lived in metro area honored." The Denver Post. March 27, 2002. Denver & The West; page B-03.
- Carter, Bob (2007). "McMahon was a rebel without pause". ESPN Classic. Archived from the original on 6 June 2011. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- The Promise of Andrew Hill High School, San Jose Mercury News
- Principal Reflects on Nine years of Puente Success, Puente News
- Andrew Hill Wiki
- Andrew P. Hill High School website
- Andrew P. Hill High School profile provided by schooltree.org
- East Side Union High School District website