|Minister of Mainland Affairs Council of the Executive Yuan|
16 February 2015
|Preceded by||Wang Yu-chi|
|Deputy Minister of National Defense of the Republic of China|
22 October 2013
|Preceded by||Andrew Yang
|ROC Representative to Indonesia|
December 2009 – 22 October 2013
|Succeeded by||Chang Liang-jen|
|Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of China|
20 May 2008 – 16 September 2009
|Succeeded by||Shen Lyu-hsun|
|ROC Representative to India|
June 2007 – 2008
|ROC Representative to United States|
2001 – June 2007
|Succeeded by||Kenneth Liao|
|ROC Deputy Representative to Canada|
|Born||24 December 1950 (age 64)
|Nationality||Republic of China|
|Alma mater||Fu-Jen Catholic University
National Chengchi University
University of Oxford
University College London
Queen Mary University of London
- 1 ROC Representative to United States
- 2 ROC Representative to India
- 3 ROC Foreign Affairs Deputy Ministry
- 4 ROC Representative to Indonesia
- 5 ROC National Defense Deputy Ministry
- 6 See also
- 7 References
ROC Representative to United States
PRC as founding member of United Nations in 1945
In mid of August 2005, Hsia protested to the United Nations (UN) for naming the People's Republic of China (PRC) as one of the founding member of the UN that signed the United Nations Charter during an exhibition commemorating 60th anniversary of the UN, instead of the Republic of China (ROC). He stressed that in 1945, it was the ROC who were the China, since PRC was only founded in 1949.
ROC Representative to India
After being appointed ROC representative to India in June 2007, Hsia said that he hoped to work on securing India's support for Taiwan's membership in the World Health Organization of the United Nations. He also would focus on trade, tourism and technological exchanges between the two.
ROC Foreign Affairs Deputy Ministry
Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs resignation
Hsia resigned from his post in August 2009 after a cable was disclosed by a newspaper stating that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had instructed all of the ROC representative offices around the world to decline all forms of foreign aid in the aftermath of Typhoon Morakot.
ROC Representative to Indonesia
During his term as the ROC representative to Indonesia, Hsia actively promoted bilateral exchanges between Taiwan and Indonesia in the field of trade, culture and education. He was involved in the joint development of Morotai Island of North Maluku province and an industrial park in Jakarta.
2013 Jakarta International Defense Dialogue
Commenting on the barring of the Taiwanese delegation to attend the 3rd Jakarta International Defense Dialogue (JIDD) in Jakarta in March 2013, Hsia said that he was not pleased with the incident since this conference is about regional security and Taiwan is certainly one of the major player. The Taipei Economic and Trade Office in Jakarta demanded an explanation from the Government of Indonesia regarding the incident.
Indonesia, represented by the JIDD organizing committee chairperson, responded by saying that the Ministry of Defense of Indonesia had received a verbal complaint from the Chinese Embassy asking them to discourage the Taiwanese delegates from attending the conference.
ROC National Defense Deputy Ministry
Deputy Minister of National Defense appointment
On 22 October 2013, Premier Jiang Yi-huah named Hsia to fill in the position of Deputy Minister of the National Defense, in which Hsia will be tasked to oversee arms procurement policies.
The position had been vacated for more than 2 months since 1 August 2013 when then-Deputy Minister of National Defense Andrew Yang was promoted to the Minister position after the resignation of then-Minister of National Defense Kao Hua-chu due to the death scandal of army corporal Hung Chung-chiu.
- "Taipei Economic and Trade Office, Jakarta, Indonesia 駐印尼台北經濟貿易代表處". roc-taiwan.org. Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- "Taiwan names new representative to Indonesia | Society | FOCUS TAIWAN - CNA ENGLISH NEWS". Focustaiwan.tw. 2013-11-22. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Taiwan's names new representative to Indonesia - Taiwan News Online". Taiwannews.com.tw. 2013-11-22. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Andrew Yang picked as deputy defense minister". Taipei Times. 2014-04-14. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "The New York Times". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- "Representative to Indonesia named to MND deputy post". Taipei Times. 2014-04-14. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Cabinet names new deputy defense minister | Politics | FOCUS TAIWAN - CNA ENGLISH NEWS". Focustaiwan.tw. 2013-10-22. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Jakarta envoy tapped for deputy defense minister". The China Post. 2013-10-23. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Kuomintang News Network". Kmt.org.tw. 2013-10-23. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "14 | August | 2005 | Mutantfrog Travelogue". Mutantfrog.com. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Taiwan's 'representative' takes up Indian challenge - IBNLive". ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2014-08-23.
- "Taiwan gets barred from Jakarta defense summit". Taipei Times. 2014-04-14. Retrieved 2014-04-21.