Andrew Joron is an American writer of experimental poetry. He began by writing science fiction poetry. Joron's later poetry, combining scientific and philosophical ideas with the sonic properties of language, has been compared to the work of the Russian Futurist Velimir Khlebnikov. Joron currently lives in the San Francisco Bay Area. In the 2014 fall semester, Joron joins the faculty of the Creative Writing Department at San Francisco State University.
Joron is the translator, from the German, of the Marxist-Utopian philosopher Ernst Bloch’s Literary Essays which was published by Stanford University Press in 1998. Joron is also the translator of The Perpetual Motion Machine by the German fantasist Paul Scheerbart (Wakefield Press, 2011).
During the 1990s, Andrew Joron formed a close friendship with the poet and novelist Gustaf Sobin. Sobin, who died in 2005, designated Joron as his literary co-executor, along with American poet Andrew Zawacki.
Joron also belonged to the circle of Surrealist poet Philip Lamantia in San Francisco from the late '90s until Lamantia's death in 2005. Joron later served as co-editor, with Garrett Caples and Nancy Joyce Peters, of the Collected Poems of Philip Lamantia, published by University of California Press (2013).
Since 2008 he has played theremin in the improv ambient/drone quartet Cloud Shepherd. Joron has written an essay, "The Theremin in My Life," on the relation between his literary and musical activities.
List of books
- Force Fields. Borgo Press, 1987.
- Velocities Set (editor). Ocean View Books, 1988.
- Science Fiction. Pantograph Press, 1992.
- Terminal Velocities (editor). Pantograph Press, 1993.
- Invisible Machines with Robert Frazier and Thomas Wiloch. Jazz Police Books, 1997.
- The Removes. Hard Press, 1999.
- The emergency of poetry. Velocities, 2002.
- Fathom. Black Square Editions, 2003.
- Neo-surrealism: Or, The Sun At Night. Black Square Editions, 2004.
- The Cry at Zero: Selected Prose. Counterpath Press, 2007.
- The Sound Mirror. Flood Editions, 2008.
- Force Fields with Brian Lucas. Hooke Press, 2010. (This is a different book than Joron's 1987 book of the same title.)
- Trance Archive: New and Selected Poems. City Lights Books, 2010. ISBN 978-0-87286-530-3
- Michael Collings, "Dialogues by Starlight," Starshine and Shadows site.
- Steve Evans, "Shelf Life," The Nation magazine
- University of Arizona Poetry Center, Words Through: a Tribute to Gustaf Sobin On the occasion of the publication of Sobin's Collected Poetry March 2010. The tribute took place on March 6, 2010 and featured, along with Joron and Zawacki, other writers and artists
- Joron sites, exhibits, artist pages
- Andrew Joron at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Andrew Joron in the Poets and Writers Directory
- Andrew Joron's bio at the Poetry Foundation
- Online publications
- Trance Archive Table of Contents and first five poems
- Poetry by Andrew Joron in New American Writing
- Andrew Joron's essay "The Emergency of Poetry"
- Andrew Joron's essay "The Crisis of the Crystal"
- Andrew Joron's "Constellations for Theremin"
- Others on Joron, reviews, perspectives
- Review of Andrew Joron's book Fathom in Rain Taxi
- Review of Andrew Joron's book Fathom in Boston Review
- Review of Andrew Joron's book The Cry at Zero at A Tonalist Notes
- Review of Andrew Joron's book The Cry at Zero in Denver Quarterly
- Review of Andrew Joron's book The Sound Mirror in Bookforum
- Review of Andrew Joron's book Trance Archive on thethepoetry.com
- Garrett Caples interviews Andrew Joron for Studio One interview published online March 30, 2010 in conjunction with a reading Joron gave on April 2, 2010 at the Studio One Reading Series in Oakland, CA
- Christopher Nelson interviews Andrew Joron
- Joron's dialogue with "quantum poet" Amy Catanzano