Andrew Leslie (general)
|Birth name||Andrew Brooke Leslie|
|Born||December 1957 (age 56)|
|Commands held||1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group
Chief of the Land Staff
|Battles/wars||War in Afghanistan|
|Awards||Commander of the Order of Military Merit
Meritorious Service Cross
Meritorious Service Medal
Canadian Forces Decoration
Commander's Cross of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland
Lieutenant-General Andrew Brooke Leslie, CMM, MSC, MSM, CD (born December 1957) is a retired Canadian Forces general officer who most notably served as Chief of Transformation and earlier as Chief of the Land Staff.
Andrew Leslie's father was Brigadier General Edward Murray Dalziel (McNaughton) Leslie, commander of 1st Regiment, Royal Canadian Horse Artillery (1 RCHA) during the Korean War. He is a grandson of former Chief of the General Staff and Minister of National Defence General Andrew McNaughton, as well as of former Canadian Minister of National Defence Brooke Claxton.
Leslie joined the 30th Field Regiment when at University of Ottawa. He went on to be Commanding Officer of 1st Regiment Royal Canadian Horse Artillery in Shilo, Manitoba. While in London, England, as a graduate student he was attached to the Honourable Artillery Company.
In 1995 he was promoted to Colonel and sent to the Former Yugoslavia as Chief of Staff for Sector South. He then became the Chief of Staff and Deputy Commander of United Nations Confidence Restoration Operation in Croatia.
He was the Area Chief of Staff during the Manitoba floods in Spring 1997. Later in 1997 he became the commander of 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group which was sent to the South shore of Montreal to help with disaster relief operations.
He became Deputy Commander of the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan in 2003 and then became Assistant Chief of the Land Staff in 2004. In June 2006 he was appointed Chief of the Land Staff.
On September 18, 2013, Leslie was named co-chair of the Liberal International Affairs Council of Advisors, providing advice on foreign and defence issues to Liberal Party of Canada leader Justin Trudeau.
- Monitor Polski 2010 nr 83 poz. 992 – number 8.
- BGen EMD Leslie DSO, CD
- Andrew Leslie replaced in shuffle of military hierarchy
- Biography at Canadian Forces site
- LGen AB Leslie biography, The RCA Museum
- Leslie appointed head of Canada's land forces CBC News, 15 June 2006
- Canada to get new army boss Windsor Star, 31 March 2010
- Canadian Army To Get New Commander DND/CF Media Advisory, 18 June 2010
- Retired Lt.-Gen. Andrew Leslie To Head Defence and Intelligence Business Unit at CGI The Ottawa Citizen, 29 September 2011
- Den Tandt, Michael (18 September 2013). "Andrew Leslie, former commander of Canadian Army, joins Trudeau’s team as adviser". National Post. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "Liberals Unveil Co-Chairs of International Affairs Council of Advisors". liberal.ca. Liberal Party of Canada. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
|Chief of the Land Staff