||This biographical article is written like a résumé. (July 2012)|
September 4, 1977 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Education||Horace Mann School
|Alma mater||New York University|
|Known for||Photographic sculpting, painting|
|Home town||Manhattan, New York, U.S.|
|Spouse(s)||Katherine Jenkins (m. 2014)|
Levitas was born in New York City, New York. He attended Horace Mann School and then Dalton School in Manhattan, NY. In high school, Levitas became a member of the downtown repertory company, City Kids, as well as a published writer. After graduating from The Dalton School, he attended New York University. He graduated in 2000 with a degree from the Gallatin School of NYU.
In addition to a growing list of American and international gallery exhibitions, Levitas’ work has garnered attention through top auction houses, museums, and art fairs. 2012 highlights include a solo exhibition Metalwork Photograph: Sculptures at Phillips de Pury in Manhattan, as well as a ten-year retrospective Andrew Levitas: A Brief Survey 2002-2012 at New York University.
In 2004 Levitas burst onto the art scene with his “Metalwork Experiment.” Developed by the artist, Metalwork Photography photographic sculptures are formed by a process involving the transfer of photographs onto custom transparencies that are in turn melted onto hand detailed sheets. The result is a work that combines the imagery of a photograph with the presence of a sculpture. While these works are printed as editions, they function as unique objects since each print differs, depending on the level of hand tooling.
Levitas’ “organic abstractions” (paintings built from home made pigments, canvas, and organic materials – in some cases entire trees) have also received critical acclaim. The work, often reflective of Los Angeles life, is in part a commentary on emotion and the way we choose to express ourselves, as well as the ways in which we insulate ourselves from essential truth. The work also stresses a larger discourse on nature, the organic and its place in the contemporary world. It was with this body of work that in December 2008, Levitas was honored as one of only a handful of American painters ever accepted to the prestigious Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts since its founding in the 1860s.
In 2012, Levitas directed the feature film Lullaby starring Garrett Hedlund, Amy Adams, Jennifer Hudson, Richard Jenkins, Terrence Howard, Jessica Brown-Findlay, and Anne Archer, from his own screenplay. The film was to release globally in 2014.
Levitas has also produced such films as Art of Getting By (Fox Searchlight), Affluenza (2014), both of which feature his paintings and photography respectively, as well as Bad Actress (Strand), Innocence (Killer Films), Regular Boy (2013), Last Moment of Clarity (2014), and At Any Price (Sony Classics).
Levitas is also a part-time faculty member at New York University, teaching a course on "The Artist's Mind". Course description ~ The Artist's Mind
Since October 2013, Levitas has been in a relationship with Welsh classical-crossover singer Katherine Jenkins. The pair were engaged in April 2014. They were married at Hampton Court Palace on 27 September 2014. The bride Katherine Jenkins wore a Suzanne Neville gown.
Untitled Ramin Bahrani Project (2011) (co-producer)
Great Neck (2013) (producer)
Regular Boy (2014) (producer)
Below the Surface (2011) (producer)
The Art of Getting By (2011) (executive producer)
(818) (2010) (post-production) (co-executive producer)
Searching for Glitter (2009) (completed) (associate producer)
Innocence (2014) (producer)
- The Art of Getting By (2011)
- Holy Rollers (2010) .... David
- The Box (2009/I) .... Black Op
- Entourage .... Gregg (1 episode, 2009)
- Friendly Fire (2006) (V) .... Dastardly handsome
- Beauty Shop (2005) .... Stacy
- Hellbent (2004) .... Chaz
- North Shore .... Reese (1 episode, 2004)
- It's All Relative .... Eddie Donovan (1 episode, 2003)
- Psycho Beach Party (2000) .... Provoloney
- Boy Meets World .... Luther (1 episode, 1999)
- Party of Five .... Cameron Welcott (6 episodes, 1999)
- The Nanny .... Michael (4 episodes, 1998–1999)
- Nick Freno: Licensed Teacher .... Marco romero (21 episodes, 1997–1998)
- In & Out (1997) .... Locker Room Guy
- Lullaby (2013) (director & writer)
- Donoghue, Katy (May 12, 2009). "Andrew Levitas at Dactyl". Whitewall. Retrieved 1 February 2010.[dead link]
- "Glamour Boy Andrew Levitas gives you Mean Painting". Scallywag & Vagabond. May 12, 2009. Retrieved 1 February 2010.
- "Innocence". Internet Movie Database. 2014-06-08. Retrieved 2014-06-08.