|Fields||Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence|
University of Massachusetts Amherst
|Alma mater||Dartmouth College
University of Rochester
|Doctoral advisor||Dana H. Ballard|
|Doctoral students||Wei Li, Charles Sutton, Xuerui Wang, Aron Culotta|
|Known for||Conditional random field|
|Notable awards||ICML Test of Time (2011)|
Andrew McCallum is a professor and researcher in the computer science department at University of Massachusetts Amherst. His primary specialties are in machine learning, natural language processing, information extraction, information integration, and social network analysis.
McCallum graduated summa cum laude from Dartmouth College in 1989. He completed his Ph.D. at University of Rochester in 1995 under the supervision of Dana H. Ballard. He was then a postdoctoral fellow, working with Sebastian Thrun and Tom M. Mitchell at Carnegie Mellon University. From 1998 to 2000 he was a Research Scientist and Research Coordinator at Justsystem Pittsburgh Research Center. From 2000 to 2002 was Vice President of Research and Development at WhizBang Labs, and Director of its Pittsburgh office.
In 2009 he was elected a fellow of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence.
In collaboration with John Lafferty and Fernando Pereira, McCallum developed conditional random fields, first described in a paper presented at the International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML). In 2011 this research paper won the ICML "Test of Time" (10 year best paper) award.
McCallum has written several widely used open-source software toolkits for machine learning, natural language processing and other text processing, including Rainbow, Mallet (software project), and FACTORIE. In addition, he was instrumental in publishing the Enron Corpus, a large collection of emails that has been used as a basis for a number of academic studies of social networking and language.
- "Bio for Andrew McCallum". Archived from the original on 4 June 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- "The Mathematics Genealogy Project - Andrew McCallum". Archived from the original on 6 May 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- "http://www.cs.umass.edu/faculty/faculty-directory". Archived from the original on 4 June 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- "Elected AAAI Fellows". Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- Lafferty, J.; McCallum, A.; Pereira, F.C.N. (2001). "International Conference on Machine Learning". pp. 79–87.
- "Google Scholar search for +mccallum +rainbow +sofware". Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- "Rainbow". Archived from the original on 26 May 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- "FACTORIE". Retrieved 2014-05-20.
|This biographical article relating to a computer specialist in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|P ≟ NP||This biographical article relating to a computer scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|