|Occupation||Professor of Law|
Andrew J. McClurg is a professor of law holding the Herbert Herff Chair of Excellence in Law at the University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, specializing in torts, products liability, privacy law, and firearms policy. Although he has published a number of articles in his areas of practice, he is also known as a legal humorist, having written two legal humor books, and having written a legal humor column for more than four years in the American Bar Association Journal.
McClurg received his J.D. from the University of Florida College of Law, where he was a member of the Florida Law Review and graduated Order of the Coif. He then served as a law clerk to U.S. District Judge Charles R. Scott (M.D. Fla.). After working for several years as a litigator, McClurg taught at Wake Forest University, the University of Colorado, and Golden Gate University. He became the Nadine H. Baum Distinguished Professor of Law at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, and was a member of the founding faculty at the established Florida International University College of Law from 2002 to 2006.
McClurg has received several awards; his teaching awards include the University of Memphis's 2009-10 Distinguished Teaching Award, 2009 Excellence in Legal Education Award, as well as five other teaching awards (including four Teacher of the Year awards) while for his scholarly publications he has received two law school excellence awards.
McClurg's literature comprises five books, including humorous writings; twenty-one law review articles, including those at Northwestern University, Boston University, University of Notre Dame, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, American University, Cincinnati, Colorado, Oregon, UC Davis, UC Hastings, and Wake Forest; and roughly seventy-five other articles.
- Amicus Curiae: An Anthology of Legal Humor (Carolina Academic Press 2003) (with Robert M. Jarvis and Thomas E. Baker). ISBN 0-89089-410-8
- Gun Control and Gun Rights (New York University Press 2002) (with Kopel and Denning). ISBN 0-8147-4759-0
- The Law School Trip (the insider's guide to law school) (Trafford 2001). ISBN 1-55212-646-3
- 1L of a Ride: A Well-Traveled Professor's Roadmap to Success in the First Year of Law School (Thomson West 2008). ISBN 0-314-19483-5
- Profile of Andrew McClurg from the Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law
- McClurg's Legal Humor Headquarters