Andrew Murray (doctor)
Dr Andrew Murray (born c. 1980) is a Scottish doctor, runner and author who works for the Scottish Government promoting physical activity for health. He became widely known in January 2011 when he completed a 2659 mile run from John O’Groats in far north Scotland to Merzouga, in the Moroccan Sahara desert running an average of over 34 miles for 78 consecutive days.
Murray was appointed as the Scottish Government’s Physical Activity Champion in February 2012 to work for Scotland’s Chief Medical Officer, and stated that "Becoming, or staying active, is the single best thing you can do for your health,"  In March 2012 he re-launched the Scottish Government’s “Take Life On” campaign with Sports Minister Shona Robison.
He additionally works as a Sports and Exercise Medicine doctor for the European Tour Golf, the Scottish Rugby Union, and Heart of Midlothian FC. He is considered an expert in the areas of physical activity for health, and in sports medicine.
On April 9, 2012 he placed first overall in the North Pole Marathon despite having broken his wrist 10 days prior.
Additionally, Murray has won numerous endurance races which include The Sahara Race (Egypt) (2007), The Gobi Challenge (2009, 2012), the 6633 Ultra (2009), the Indo Ultra (2010), and the Scottish Ultra (2009). He has stated that in November 2012 he will run 7 ultra marathons on 7 continents within 7 days to promote the value of exercise for health, and is the author of “Running Beyond Limits” (Mountain Media 2011.)
- Smith, Haydn (24th January 2011). Record Breaker ‘Jubilant’ after Running from Scotland to the Sahara in 78 days. The Metro - http://www.metro.co.uk/news/853608-record-breaker-runs-from-scotland-to-sahara-in-78-days (Retrieved 05/04/2012)
- Challenge page - http://www.scotland2sahara.com (Retrieved 05/05/2012)
- BBC. GP Runner Andrew Murray given sports education role. The BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-16772819 (Retrieved 05/05/2012)
- Booth, Samantha (13th February 2012) Scottish Government target children in new exercise campaign. The Daily Record - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/health-news/2012/02/13/scottish-government-target-children-in-new-exercise-campagin-86908-23747501/ (retrieved 05/04/2012)
- The Guardian (10th April 2012). North Pole Marathon won by Scot Andrew Murray - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2012/apr/10/north-pole-marathon-video. (Retrieved 05/04/2012)
- Murray AD, Fiennes R. Running Beyond Limits. Mountain Media. 2011.