|No. 4 – Sydney Kings|
17 June 1988 |
Sydney, New South Wales
|Nationality||Australian / Irish|
|Listed height||6 ft 11 in (211 cm)|
|Listed weight||249 lb (113 kg)|
|High school||Oakhill College
(Sydney, New South Wales)
|NBA draft||2010 / Undrafted|
|Pro playing career||2010–present|
|2010–2011||Beşiktaş Cola Turka|
|Career highlights and awards|
Andrew James "A. J." Ogilvy (born 17 June 1988) is an Australian-Irish professional basketball player. He played for the Commodores college basketball team at Vanderbilt University, in Nashville, Tennessee, United States. On 8 April 2010, Ogilvy announced that he was making himself eligible for the 2010 NBA Draft and hiring an agent. Under NCAA rules, signing with an agent ends a player's college eligibility.
Ogilvy represents Australia in international basketball.
High school career
Ogilvy was born in Sydney, New South Wales and graduated from the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra. He also played high school basketball with Oakhill College, located in Castle Hill, New South Wales, and his junior representative basketball with the Hills Hornets. Ogilvy was selected to represent his country in the 2007 FIBA Under-19 World Championship in which he gave an impressive performance averaging 22.3 points and 9.8 rebounds a game with 6 double-doubles and was ranked third overall in scoring. He also earned the 2005 New South Wales Junior Basketball Player of the Year Award, the Basketball Australia Education Award, and the AIS Academic Excellence Award.
Upon joining the Commodores in 2007, Ogilvy made an immediate impact, averaging over 18 points and 7 rebounds during the team's non-conference schedule. As a result of Ogilvy's play (combined with the excellent three-point shooting of fellow Vanderbilt star Shan Foster) the Commodores finished their non-conference games a perfect 16–0. Analysts noted that Ogilvy provided the team with a much-needed inside game, the lack of which had previously been heavily criticized by fans, as the Commodores have traditionally relied almost exclusively on perimeter shooting. Ogilvy was named the SEC Freshman of the Week for his performance against UMass on 5 January 2008, in which he registered the second double-double of his college career (the first being against Lipscomb) with 25 points and 11 rebounds. Ogilvy made school history his freshman year when he led the Commodores to a record 26th regular season victory with a 93–82 win over Auburn in the first round of the SEC tournament on 13 March 2008. Ogilvy notched a game-high 27 points, which also surpassed his previous career high of 26 points set against Lipscomb on 8 December 2007. Ogilvy also finished his first year at Vanderbilt as the highest scoring freshman in school history. There had been some speculation as to whether or not Ogilvy would declare himself eligible for the NBA Draft following his freshman year as many experts believed he would be a first round pick, while others felt he needs more time to develop at the college level, citing his shortcomings on defense and tendency to commit unnecessary fouls as potential hindrances to his professional play.
College statistical highs
Ogilvy's career highs since joining the Commodores are as follows:
- Points – 33 vs. LSU on 4 March 2009
- Assists – 5 on 2 occasions
- Rebounds – 12 vs. Kentucky on 12 February 2008
- Steals – 4 vs Georgia on 14 January 2009
- Blocks – 5 vs. Kentucky on 12 January 2008
- Field Goals Made – 12 on 3 occasions
- Free Throws Made – 12 vs. Iona on 31 December 2007
- Minutes Played – 34 vs. Kentucky on 12 January 2008
Ogilvy started his professional career with Turkish club Beşiktaş Cola Turka, where he was teammates with 2001 NBA MVP Allen Iverson, who signed with the team in an attempt to revive his career in Turkey.
On 16 April 2013, he signed with the Sydney Kings for the 2013–14 NBL season.
- Lockridge, Jeff (2010-04-08). "Ogilvy says time at Vandy 'is done', enters NBA draft". The Tennesseean. Retrieved 2010-04-08.[dead link]
- "Player Bio: Andrew Ogilvy". 2008-01-11.
- "AOL Sports". 2008-01-11.
- Vandy shoots 67 percent in win, falls just shy of tourney record
- Ogilvy dumps in career-best 26 as Vandy coasts on early run
- NBA Summer League Rosters - Vegas
- http://www.ajanskartal.com/haber/2373-kartala-213lk-avustralyal.html (Turkish)
- PE Valencia adds AJ Ogilvy
- Andrew Ogilvy signs with Germany’s Brose Baskets
- Andrew 'AJ' Ogilvy signs with the Kings
- James Ogilvy gets Irish citizenship