|Born||Andrew Mark Rosenthal
February 25, 1956
New Delhi, India
|Alma mater||University of Denver|
|Notable credit(s)||The New York Times|
|Spouse(s)||Mary Beth Bierut (1994-)|
Andrew Mark Rosenthal (born February 25, 1956) is an American journalist and editorial page editor of The New York Times. Rosenthal is in charge of the paper's opinion pages, both in the newspaper and online. He oversees the editorial board, the Letters and Op-Ed departments, as well as the Editorial and Op-Ed sections of NYTimes.com. The New York Times maintains a separation between the editorial department of the paper and the news department. Rosenthal answers directly to the publisher, Arthur Ochs Sulzberger Jr.
Life and career
Rosenthal was born in New Delhi, India. He is the son of Ann Marie (née Burke), a secretary, and A.M. Rosenthal, the former New York Times executive editor. His father was Jewish and his mother was of Irish Catholic background.
Andrew Rosenthal became editorial page editor on January 8, 2007. He had previously been deputy editorial page editor since September 2003. Prior to that, Rosenthal had served as assistant managing editor for news and foreign editor of the Times. He also served as national editor for six months in 2000, supervising coverage of the presidential elections and the post-election day recount, and as Washington editor. As a Washington correspondent, Rosenthal covered the Bush administration, the 1988 and 1992 presidential elections and the Persian Gulf War.
Prior to joining the Times in March 1987, Rosenthal worked at the Associated Press, where he served as Moscow bureau chief. Rosenthal graduated from the University of Denver with a B.A. degree in American history in 1978. He is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations.
- "WEDDINGS; Mary Beth Bierut, Andrew Rosenthal". The New York Times. January 16, 1994.
- Rosenthal, Andrew (2006-05-17). "Editorial Observer: I Never Wrote for My Father". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-05-10.
- McFadden, Robert D. (May 11, 2006). "A. M. Rosenthal, Editor of The Times, Dies at 84". The New York Times.
- Rosenthal, Andrew (July 24, 2009). New York Times Editorial Page Editor Andrew Rosenthal. Interview with Allan Wolper. Conversations with Allan Wolper. WBGO.
- List of all current members of The New York Times editorial board, with capsule biographies
- Rosenthal moderates extended political discussion with David Brooks, Maureen Dowd and Frank Rich, New York Times video, July 17, 2006[dead link]
- Talk to the Times - Andrew Rosenthal answers readers' questions, The New York Times, September 24–28, 2007
- C-SPAN Q&A interview with Rosenthal, December 17, 2006