|Commissioner of the New South Wales Police Force|
31 August 2007
|Preceded by||Ken Moroney|
31 March 1958 |
London, England, UK
|Alma mater||Macquarie University|
Scipione is the son of an Irish mother and an Italian father, he travelled to Australia with his family as an infant. He is married, with three children, two of whom are also currently New South Wales police officers.
In 2014 it was revealed by the Daily Telegraph that there were 437 serving police officers that had been convicted of nearly 600 offences.
Scipione joined the Australian Bureau of Customs in 1978 before moving to the New South Wales Police Force in 1980. He has worked in a number of sections including a secondment to the National Crime Authority of Australia in 1985, with Bankstown detectives, the Special Gaming Squad, Hurstville and Sydney City general duties. In 1992, Scipione became the Operations Controller of the Joint Technical Services Group (JTSG), in 1995 the Commander of the Special Technical Investigation Branch (STIB), in 1998 the Chief of Staff to then Police Commissioner Peter Ryan, in 2001 the Commander of Special Crime & Internal Affairs. Scipione was promoted to Deputy Commissioner in 2002 having served as both the Deputy Commissioner Field Operations and Specialist Operations.
He holds a Masters degree in Management from Macquarie University. He is a graduate of the FBI National Executive Institute (2004). He is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Management and a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors. He has an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Western Sydney.
- "Stateline NSW". Abc.net.au. 2007-06-29. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "''Brisbane Times'' "Knockabout, teetotaller, now police commissioner" 25 June 2007". Brisbanetimes.com.au. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "Jonathan Scipione". Smh.com.au. 2009-12-20. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "''Its an honour'': National medal". Itsanhonour.gov.au. 1996-11-08. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- "''Its an honour'': Australian Police Medal". Itsanhonour.gov.au. 2003-01-26. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- Commissioner Andrew P Scipione APM - Official profile on NSW Police website
|Commissioner of the New South Wales Police Force