Android Studio is an integrated development environment (IDE) for the Android platform. It was announced on 16 May 2013 at the Google I/O conference by Google's Product Manager, Ellie Powers. As of June 2013, it is available for users to try (for free) as an early access preview. Based on JetBrains' IntelliJ IDEA software, the Studio is designed specifically for Android development. It is available for download on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
Several features are expected to be rolled out to the users as the software matures; currently, however the following features are provided for:
- Live Layout: WYSIWYG Editor - Live Coding - Real-time App Rendering.
- Developer Console: optimization tips, assistance for translation, referral tracking, campaigning and promotions - Usage Metrics.
- Provision for beta releases and staged rollout.
- Gradle-based build support.
- Android-specific refactoring and quick fixes.
- Lint tools to catch performance, usability, version compatibility and other problems.
- ProGuard and app-signing capabilities.
- Template-based wizards to create common Android designs and components.
- A rich layout editor that allows users to drag-and-drop UI components, option to preview layouts on multiple screen configurations.
- ^ Norbye, Tor (April 3, 2014). "Android Studio 0.5.4 Released". Android Tools. Google. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- ^ Ducrohet, Xavier; Norbye, Tor; Chou, Katherine (15 May 2013). "Android Studio: An IDE built for Android". Android Developers Blog. Google. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- ^ "Getting Started with Android Studio". Android Developers. Google. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- ^ Haslam, Oliver (16 May 2013). "Download Android Studio IDE For Windows, OS X And Linux". Redmond Pie. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- ^ Honig, Zach (15 May 2013). "Google intros Android Studio, an IDE for building apps". Engadget. AOL. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- ^ Dobie, Alex (15 May 2013). "Android Studio unveiled at Google I/O keynote". Android Central. Mobile Nations. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- ^ Olanoff, Drew (15 May 2013). "Google Launches Android Studio And New Features For Developer Console, Including Beta Releases And Staged Rollout". TechCrunch. AOL. Retrieved 16 May 2013.