Andronikos Komnenos (son of John II)
|Father||John II Komnenos|
|Mother||Piroska of Hungary|
Andronikos Komnenos (or Andronicus Comnenus) (Greek: Ἀνδρόνικος Κομνηνός) (c. 1108 – 1142) was the third child and second son of the Byzantine Emperor John II Komnenos and his Hungarian wife, Piroska (Eirene).
Andronikos was made sebastokratōr at an unknown date. He was one of two sons of John II Komnenos to predecease that Emperor, the other being Alexios, whose body Andronikos was charged, with bringing back from Attalia to Constantinople in 1142. Andronikos died during the return voyage.
Andronikos Komnenos was married c. 1124 to a woman named Eirene (Aineidasa or Aineiadissa ?) (d. 1150/1151), by whom he had several children, these were:
- Maria Komnene, who married Theodoros Dasiotes, then John Kantakouzenos.
- John Doukas Komnenos (died c. 17 September 1176), who married (first name unknown) Taronitissa, and had a daughter Maria.
- Theodora Komnene (died 2 January 1184), who married Henry II Jasomirgott,
- Eudokia Komnene, who married an unknown first husband and then Michael Gabras. She was also one of the mistresses of Andronikos I Komnenos.
- Alexios Komnenos, (murdered 1183), who was married to Maria Doukaina, and had a daughter, Eudokia, and two short-lived sons. He is believed to have had Maria of Antioch (widow of Manuel I) as a mistress. He headed the regency council for her son, Alexios II.
- Cawley 2011, Andronikos Komnenos (Balabista in Macedonia -Autumn 1142) Cites Niketas Choniates, Liber III Rerum a Manuele Comneno Gestarum, 2, pp. 135-6.
- Cawley 2011, MARIA Komnene Cites: Niketas Choniates, Liber VII de Rebus Gesti Manuelis Comneni, 1, p. 68; Ioannes Kinnamos Liber III, 9, p. 109.
- Cawley 2011, IOANNES Doukas Komnenos Cites: For the wife (Rüdt-Collenberg (1975) [no book title given], p. 125, footnote 30; and other sources); For the daughter (RHC, Historiens occidentaux I, Historia Rerum in partibus transmarinis gestarum ("L'estoire de Eracles Empereur et la conqueste de la terre d'Outremer") XX.I, p. 942).
- Cawley 2011, THEODORA Komnene Cites: For the marriage (Annales Mellicenses 1149, MGH SS IX, p. 504; and other sources)
- Cawley 2011, EVDOKIA Komnene Cites Niketas Choniates, Liber III Rerum a Manuele Comneno Gestarum, 2, p. 135; Niketas Choniates, Liber IV Rerum a Manuele Comneno Gestarum, 1, p. 1; Ioannes Kinnamos Liber V, 8, p. 226.
- Choniates, p. 293.