Andrzej Chwalba (born 1949 in Częstochowa) is a Polish historian. Professor of history at the Jagiellonian University (since 1995), the university's prorector of didactics (1999-2002), head of the Institute of Social and Religious History of Europe in 19th and 20th century, and the deacon and prodeacon of Department of History.
Chwalba graduated from the Jagiellonian University in 1972. Later he worked as a teacher in Częstochowa. In 1977 he became a member of the Communist party - Polish United Workers' Party. He gained a Ph.D. from the Jagiellonian University in 1982.
Chwalba is a member of the Polish Historical Society, the Historical Commission of the Polish Academy of Science and several foreign historical societies (Intern. Tagung der Historik, Europ. Community Liaison Committee of Historians, Centre de recherches d'histoire des mouvement sociaux et du syndicalisme), as well as editor in chief of Alternatywy (1985-1989); and Arka (1994-1995). He is a member of the editorial board of Historyka. He is also Chairman of the Organisational Committee of the Congress.
Works by Andrzej Chwalba centre around social and religious history of Europe in 19th and 20th century. He has published over 120 scientific dissertations, including several books.
- Socjaliści polscy wobec kultu religijnego (1989)
- Sacrum i rewolucja (1992)
- Józef Piłsudski historyk wojskowości (1993)
- Imperium korupcji w Rosji i Królestwie Polskim w latach 1861-1917 (1995)
- Czasy "Solidarności". Francuscy związkowcy i NSZZ "S" 1980-90 (1997)
- Polacy w służbie Moskali (1999)
- Słownik Historii Polski 1939-1948 (1994,1996) - coauthor
- Kalendarium Dziejów Polski (1999) (editor)
- Samobójstwo Europy. Wielka Wojna 1914-1918 (2014)
- (Polish) UJ homepage, Prof. dr hab. Andrzej Chwalba, biography at the Wayback Machine (archived May 2, 2005)
- Konik-Korn, Agnieszka. "How do foreign historians see Poland?" Sunday Catholic Magazine, retrieved on November 23, 2007.
|This article about a historian from Poland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|