Andy Blankenbuehler (born March 7, 1970) is an American dancer, choreographer and director primarily for stage and concerts. He won the Tony Award and Drama Desk Award for his choreography for In the Heights.
Life and career
His Broadway work as a choreographer includes the musicals In the Heights (2007–08) and 9 to 5 (2008–09). He won the Tony Award and Drama Desk Award for his choreography for In the Heights. Other New York work includes choreography for the "Broadway By The Year:1930, 1938 and 1978" series, and the City Center Encores! productions of The Apple Tree (2006) and The Wiz (2009). He is the director and choreographer of Bring It On: The Musical, written by Jeff Whitty, with music by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Tom Kitt and lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Amanda Green, which premiered at the Alliance Theatre, Atlanta, Georgia, in January 16, 2011. This production also performed at the Ahmanson Theater in Los Angeles where Blankenbuehler won the 2011 LA Drama Critics Circle Award for Best Choreography.
Additionally, Blankenbuehler choreographed the Frank Wildhorn world premiere production of Waiting for the Moon. The show featured 6 full-length dance sequences, including one that lasted over 10 minutes. He was nominated for a Barrymore Award for Choreographing the show.
He most recently choreographed the 2012 revival of Annie.
- Biography broadwayworld.com, accessed February 26, 2009
- Demaline, Jackie (2007-05-13). "St. X alumnus wins choreography award" (fee required). The Cincinnati Enquirer (Gannett Company). p. D5. Retrieved 2007-12-09.
A standing O to Cincinnati native and St. Xavier High School grad Andy Blankenbuehler, who won New York theater's Lucille Lortel Award last week as choreographer of off-Broadway hit 'In the Heights,' booked at the 37 Arts Theatre through July 15.
- Biography broadwaydancecenter.com, accessed February 26, 2009
- Gans, Andrew."The Wiz Ends Limited City Center Engagement July 5" playbill.com, July 5, 2009
- Jones, Kenneth; Hetrick, Adam. "Something to Cheer About: Bring It On: The Musical Begins Atlanta Run Jan. 16 After Ice Delay" playbill.com, January 16, 2011
- Buehler, Patti."Waiting for the Moon, An Interview with Frank Wildhorn and Jack Murphy" broadwayworld.com, July 28, 2005
- Andy Blankenbuehler at the Internet Broadway Database
- Andy Blankenbuehler at the Internet Movie Database
- Andy Blankenbuehler Interview
- Interview playbill.com, June 4, 2008