Andy González (baseball)
December 15, 1981 |
Río Piedras, Puerto Rico
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|April 25, 2007 for the Chicago White Sox|
(through 2011 season)
|Runs batted in||13|
González with the Puerto Rico national team in 2013 World Baseball Classic
|Representing Puerto Rico|
|World Baseball Classic|
|Silver||2013 San Francisco||Team|
González was drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the 5th round of the 2001 Major League Baseball Draft and was a Gulf Coast League All-star shortstop in 2001, with a .323 batting average. He steadily advanced through Chicago's minor league system and made his major league debut on April 25, 2007. In 189 at-bats in the majors in 2007, González batted only .185. After the season, the White Sox did not tender González a contract making him a free agent.
On December 21, 2007, he signed a minor league contract with the Cleveland Indians with an invitation to spring training. After not making the team out of spring training, González began the year with Triple-A Buffalo. He was called up to the majors on July 26, 2008, to fill the roster following the trade of Casey Blake. He was designated for assignment on August 29 and became a free agent at the end of the season.
In January 2009, he signed a minor league contract with the Florida Marlins. He made the team out of spring training, and was added to the major league roster on April 4, 2009. On October 9, 2009 the Florida Marlins outrighted him to the New Orleans Zephyrs and he opted for free agency. On April 29, 2010 the Sussex Skyhawks signed González. He signed a minor league deal with the Milwaukee Brewers in late April 2011.
Puerto Rico Baseball League
In 2008, González played with the Leones de Ponce of the Puerto Rico Baseball League. He won the league's regular season batting championship. Registering an average of .387 in 41 games played. In the semifinals, González had an average of .313 with one RBI.
- Alden Gonzalez (2009-01-13). "Marlins sign eight to Minors deals". MLB.com. Retrieved 2009-01-13.
- Marlins set 2009 Opening Day roster
- Haudricourt, Tom. "Timber Rattlers to do double duty in May." JSOnline. 30 April 2011 Retrieved on 10 May 2011.
- Raúl Álzaga Sánchez-Bretón (2009-01-08). "González enfocado en el éxito colectivo león" (in Spanish). Primera Hora. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- "Leones de Ponce: Serie Semifinal A - Bateadores" (in Spanish). Puerto Rico Baseball League. 2009-01-13. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)