Working for nearly 20 years with young people in the area, his initiatives have been particularly directed at those who are traditionally hard to reach, in prison or from disadvantaged communities. The story of The Message is told in his book, The Message 20 - Celebrating Two Decades of Changed Lives.
In the early days of The Message, Andy was a member of the Christian band World Wide Message Tribe who had success in the UK and American pop charts.
He is a popular speaker at New Wine, Soul Survivor, Keswick Convention, and other Christian conferences in the UK. With Mike Pilavachi from Soul Survivor and Roy Crowne of YFC, he was one of the founders of the Hope 08 and subsequent Hope Together initiatives.
Andy is unashamed of his Christian faith and describes it as the 'engine' of all that has been achieved through The Message Trust. On June 21, 2011 he addressed cross-bench parliamentarians at the National Prayer Breakfast at the Houses of Parliament. Invited to speak on the theme of 'Raising the aspirations of young people', he said: ‘The Bible works – and Jesus is the answer ...The message of the Bible raises the aspirations of young people – we ditch it at our peril. The best of our society is built on this precious book ... The more we invest in today’s young people the values that God gave us in this book the better our society will become.’ 
Andy is married to Michele and together they have two children, Sam and Beth.
Books and publications
- The Message 20 - Celebrating Two Decades of Changed Lives, The Message Trust, 2011. ISBN 978-0-9571414-0-7
- Hope Unleashed, Survivor Books, 2009. ISBN 978-1-4347-6448-5
- Diary of a Dangerous Vision (Revised), Survivor Books, 2008. ISBN 978-1-84291-184-6
- The Smile of God, Survivor Books, 2005. ISBN 978-1-84291-236-2
- Diary of a Dangerous Vision, Survivor Books, 2004. ISBN 978-1-84291-184-6
- Mad For Jesus: The Vision of the World Wide Message Tribe (with Craig Borlase), Hodder and Stoughton, 2000. ISBN 0-340-74563-0
- Get God (with Jim Overton), Zondervan, 1999. ISBN 978-0-551-03225-5
- "OBE awarded to young people’s champion Andy Hawthorne". EAUK. 16 June 2011. Retrieved 24 June 2011.
- "Queen's birthday honours list: OBE". The Guardian. 11 June 2011. Retrieved 24 June 2011.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKjOC-7Anic YouTube clip of Andy Hawthorne addressing the 2011 National Prayer Breakfast