|Birth name||John Andrew Hull|
|Born||November 7, 1986|
|Genres||Indie rock, folk rock, alternative rock, progressive rock, acoustic|
|Instruments||Guitar, keyboards, vocals|
|Labels||Favorite Gentlemen Recordings|
|Associated acts||Manchester Orchestra, Bad Books, Right Away, Great Captain!|
John Andrew Hull (born November 7, 1986), better known as Andy Hull, is an American singer, guitarist and songwriter for the indie rock band Manchester Orchestra. He also has a side project Right Away, Great Captain!, as well as co-founder of a side project with friend and folk musician Kevin Devine by the name of Bad Books. Hull is also co-president of Manchester Orchestra's label, Favorite Gentlemen.
Hull was born in Atlanta, Georgia. He moved with his family seven years later and grew up in Richmond Hill, Ontario and moved back to Atlanta when he was 14 years old. His parents then bought him a guitar which he taught himself to play. A year later, he was writing and performing songs with a friend of his who played bass. After that band collapsed he started another one with Manchester Orchestra's keyboardist, Chris Freeman, on drums.
Hull initially intended Manchester Orchestra to be a solo project, with guest appearances by his friends. "I was listening to a lot of Morrissey and The Smiths," said Hull. "So the city of Manchester really fascinated me, as did the idea of being the leader of an orchestra and having all my friends come in to play."
Feeling increasingly alienated at his "small-town-Georgia, Christian high school" in suburban Atlanta, Hull spent his senior high school year studying at home. He also wrote and recorded his first full length album in 2004 during the same school year.
- With Manchester Orchestra
- 5 Stories (2004)
- You Brainstorm, I Brainstorm, but Brilliance Needs a Good Editor (2005)
- I'm Like a Virgin Losing a Child (2006)
- Let My Pride Be What's Left Behind (2008)
- Fourteen Years of Excellence (2009)
- Mean Everything to Nothing (2009)
- The MySpace Transmissions: Manchester Orchestra (2009)
- Live at Park Ave (2009)
- I Could Be the Only One (2010)
- Simple Math (2011)
- COPE (2014)
- HOPE (2014)
- With Bad Books
- The Bitter End (2007)
- The Eventually Home (2008)
- The Church of the Good Thief (2012)
- The Lost Sea (2012)
- With The Tiger Society
- The Tiger Society
- With East on Autry
- Superhits USA (2004)
- Guest appearances
- Winston Audio
- Keeping It Down
- Machines Part I
- Easy Talk (Open Your Mouth)
- The Dear Hunter
- I Couldn't Do It Alone - Red
- A Curse of Cynicism - Red
- Deny It All - Red
- The Devil And Whom
- Matthews, Cameron. "Manchester Orchestra's Andy Hull Relives His 'Tough' Marriage on 'Simple Math'". publisher. Spinner. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
2. United States Copyright website for birth name.