|Andrew J. Looney|
|Born||November 5, 1963|
|Residence||College Park, Maryland|
|Other names||Andy Looney|
|Known for||Game Designer, Eagle Scout|
Andrew J. Looney (born November 5, 1963), better known as Andy Looney, is an award-winning game designer and computer programmer.
Looney, his wife Kristin Looney, and Alison Frane together run the games company Looney Labs, which has published most of his game designs, such as Fluxx, Chrononauts, and the Icehouse game system. Andrew Looney's Fluxx was licensed to Iron Crown Enterprises, who published it in 1997.
Before Looney and his wife started Looney Labs, they had both worked at NASA, where, in 1993, some of Looney's software was launched into orbit as part of the repairs to the Hubble Space Telescope. He then went on to a brief career as a game programmer at Magnet Interactive Studios, where he created that company's only entry to the market, Icebreaker.
Patents & awards
- Method of manipulating and interpreting playing pieces (U.S. Patent 4,936,585)
- Method of conducting simultaneous gameplay using stackable game pieces (U.S. Patent 6,352,262)
- Method of simulation time travel in a card game (U.S. Patent 6,474,650)
Looney has won the following game design awards:
- 1999 — Mensa Mind Games: Mensa Select Award for Fluxx
- 2000 — Origins Award: Best Traditional Card Game for Chrononauts
- 2000 — Origins Award: Best Abstract Board Game for Icehouse
- 2001 — Parents Choice Silver Honors Chrononauts
- 2001 — Origins Award: Best Abstract Board Game for Cosmic Coasters
- 2003 — Parents Choice Silver Honors Nanofictionary
- 2005 — Mensa Mind Games: Mensa Select Award for Zendo
- 2007 — Origins Award: Best Board Game or Expansion of the Year for Treehouse
- 2008 — Origins Award: Best Traditional Card Game of the Year for Zombie Fluxx
- Early American Chrononauts
- Cosmic Coasters
- Family Fluxx
- Zombie Fluxx
- Monty Python Fluxx
- Martian Fluxx
- Stoner Fluxx
- Icehouse and other games played with the Icehouse pieces:
- West, Susan (October 2005). "The Looney Labs Experiment". GAMES magazine (Games Publications).
- Salen, Katie; Zimmerman, Eric (2003). Rules of Play. Cambridge, Mass.: The MIT Press. p. 546. ISBN 978-0-262-24045-1.
- Shannon Appelcline (2011). Designers & Dragons. Mongoose Publishing. p. 140. ISBN 978-1-907702-58-7.
- Who is Andrew Looney?
- Mensa Select Past Winners
- Origins Award Winners 2000
- Origins Award Winners 2001
- 33rd Annual Origins Award Winners
- 34th Annual Origins Award Winners