||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
|Andy Biersack or Andy Sixx|
Andy Biersack performing with Black Veil Brides in New York on January 25, 2013
|Birth name||Andrew Dennis Biersack|
December 26, 1990 |
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
|Genres||Glam metal, hard rock, melodic metalcore (early), post-hardcore (early)|
|Occupations||Musician, singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, keyboard, bass guitar, synthesizer, guitar|
|Labels||Lava, Universal Republic, Standby|
|Associated acts||Black Veil Brides|
Early life and education
He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio.
For his early education, Biersack attended a Catholic elementary school, which he has spoken of in many interviews. Because of the way Andy dressed and the music he listened to, (i.e. The Misfits, A7X, The Damned, The Dropkick Murphies, etc.), he was the target of bullying at school. This bullying is re-enacted in the "Knives and Pens" music video. In high school, Biersack attended Cincinnati's School for Creative and Performing Arts, and majored in drama and vocal music. He left school before graduating to move to Los Angeles to further his potential career, six days after he turned 18. He took vocal training before recording Set the World on Fire to improve what he could do with his voice.
At age 16, Biersack and a few of his friends formed their first band, called "Biersack" (although they only played one show). This project eventually grew into what would later be known as Black Veil Brides. In September 2009 Black Veil Brides signed with the independent label StandBy Records. The writing process for a tour and a record began immediately. In December 2009, the band embarked on their first US tour, titled "On Leather Wings". The group's debut album We Stitch These Wounds was released July 20, 2010 and sold over 10,000 copies in its first week, ranking at No. 36 on the Billboard Top 200 chart, and No. 1 on the Billboard Independent chart. The band's second studio album, Set the World on Fire was released on June 14, 2011 through Lava Music/Universal Republic Records.
After dropping out of high school, Biersack moved to Los Angeles, California to pursue a career in acting. He had a small part in the AT&T commercial "Confetti", as well as a 30-second spot in the Montana Meth commercial "Jumped". Andy also guest stars in the Funny or Die web series Average Joe. He also starred in the Black Veil Brides full length feature film, Legion of the Black, which was released on January 6, 2013, to support the band's latest album.
In an interview with Loudwire, Biersack said, "I’m not a religious person but I grew up in a religious family. I went to the funeral for my grandfather, a person that I love very much, and everyone is speaking about how he went to Heaven and how he’s in Heaven. I always fight with that, because I would love nothing more to believe that my grandfather is in the clouds playing Xbox 460 [sic] or whatever awesome stuff they have up in Heaven, but I can’t."
Biersack has suffered quite a few injuries while performing with Black Veil Brides, most notably his fall from a 15-foot (4.6 m) pillar on June 18, 2011 in Hollywood. In an attempt to jump back onto the stage, he fell forward and hit his chest on the edge, which resulted in 3 ribs shattered (3 lower left), and one displaced. That particular injury caused Black Veil Brides to have to miss the first week of the Vans Warped Tour in 2011. On October 26, 2011, while on another tour in the UK, Biersack broke his nose on the drum riser while performing a gig in Luxembourg, resulting in more missed tour dates. However, two days later, he performed with Black Veil Brides in London.
In an interview with Revolver Magazine, Biersack stated:
|“||I never anticipated seeing 40. I smoke two packs a day and drink like a camel. I just don’t really think about death. I know I’m gonna die one day, but if I can achieve all of my goals and live exactly the way I want to before then, I’ll have no regrets when I die. I don’t try to hurt myself like Iggy Pop or Marilyn Manson or anything — it’s just the byproduct of the chaos of being on stage.||”|
Biersack's stage name was previously "Andy Six" up until around 2011 when he decided that he preferred to be called by his family/birth name, Andy Biersack, although he still accepts "Six" as a nickname. The stylizing of his name as "Sixx" has never been used by Biersack himself but is often mistakenly used by fans, even though it is and always has been incorrect. 
With Black Veil Brides
- We Stitch These Wounds (2010)
- Set the World on Fire (2011)
- Wretched and Divine: The Story of the Wild Ones (2013)
As featured artist
|2014||"Asshole"||Ronnie Radke||Watch Me - Mixtape|
|2011||Andy Biersack||Revolver Magazine's 100 Greatest Living Rock Stars 2011||Won||—|
|2012||Andy Biersack||Revolver Magazine's Golden God Awards: Best Vocalist 2012||Nominated||—|
|2012||Andy Biersack||Kerrang! Award for Hottest Male 2012<||Nominated||—|
|2012||Andy Biersack||Kerrang!'s 50 Greatest Rock Stars in the World Today||Won||4th|
|"—" denotes a nomination that did not place or places were not relevant in the award.|
- Petteri Pertola (June 8, 2011). "Black Veil Brides - Rockfreaks.net". Rockfreaks.net. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- Lymangrover, Jason (June 14, 2011). "Set the World on Fire – Black Veil Brides : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". Allmusic.
- "Black Veil Brides Drop Debut Album". Guitar World. April 14, 2011.
- "Black Veil Brides – Set the World on Fire CD Album". Cduniverse.com. June 14, 2011.
- APTV: The Making Of Andy Biersack (Part 1 of 5) on YouTube from 0:45 to 1:40. Alternative Press. 19 November 2013. Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- Black Veil Brides (2009). Black Veil Brides "Knives and Pens" OFFICIAL VIDEO. Retrieved January 2014.
- April 6, 2011 (2011-04-06). "Black Veil Brides Interview". UGO.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- Black Veil Brides featured in Billboard Magazine TheGauntlet.com 2010-07-08. Retrieved 2010-11-18
- . Funny or Die.
- RockRevolt Magazine (2013-01-17). "January/February 2013 Digital issue: BLACK VEIL BRIDES". RockRevolt Magazine™.
- Liz Ramanand (December 13, 2012). "Black Veil Brides Singer Andy Biersack: I Think Everybody Is 'Wretched and Divine'". Loudwire. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "Black Veil Brides' Andy Biersack shatters four ribs after 15 foot fall - video | News". Nme.Com. 2011-06-20. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "Black Veil Brides lead singer Andy Biersack... - BryanStars Interviews". Bryanstars.com. 2011-06-19. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "Alternative Press | Features | Exclusive Interview: Andy Biersack of Black Veil Brides discusses his fall, injuries". Altpress.com. 2011-06-22. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET - BLACK VEIL BRIDES Frontman Breaks Nose During Luxembourg Concert (Photo)". Legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- Jon Wiederhorn (2011-12-14). "Black Veil Brides’ Andy Biersack Picks His Top Five Stage Injuries in 2011 - Revolver Magazine". Revolvermag.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "Ronnie Radkes Mixtape Website". RonnieRadkeMixtape. Ronnie Radke. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "Congrats To Revolver Magazine & Their 100th Issue m/ | PiercingMetal Musings". Piercingmetal.com. 2011-12-16. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- Brandon Geist (2011-12-13). "Revolver’s Mega 100th Issue—Featuring the 100 Greatest Living Rock Stars—on Newsstands Now - Revolver Magazine". Revolvermag.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "Golden Gods 2012: The Winners | News @". Ultimate-guitar.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "Kerrang! And the nominees are". Kerrang.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.