Ang Dating Daan
|Ang Dating Daan
(Portuguese: O Caminho Antigo)
(Spanish: El Camino Antiguo)
|Starring||Eliseo Soriano, Daniel Razon
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, English, Standard Chinese (selected episodes), Portuguese, Spanish|
|No. of episodes||n/a|
|Producer(s)||Members Church of God International|
|Location(s)||Various locations in the Philippines (for Philippine Broadcast)|
|Camera setup||multicamera setup|
|Running time||2 hours|
|Original channel||IBC-13 , UNTV|
|Picture format||480i SDTV|
|Original run||1980 (on Radio)- present
1983 (on Television) - present
2009 - – present (Latin America broadcast)
|Related shows||Itanong mo kay Soriano|
Ang Dating Daan (Tagalog for The Old Path) is a religious radio and television program in the Philippines produced by the Members of the Church of God International. It is primarily hosted by Eli Soriano. In Portugal and Brazil, it is broadcast as O Caminho Antigo which is a direct translation for The Old Path. In Latin America, it is broadcast as El Camino Antiguo which is also a direct translation of the English name. Selected episodes of the program can also be viewed on the Internet through the Members Church of God International websites and on YouTube. It has been recognized as one of the longest-running religious programs in the Philippines.
The program started in October 1980 on radio then in 1983 on television as a 30-minute block timer on Intercontinental Broadcasting Corporation with a shoe-string budget.. Initially, the TV program would only run for one hour due to limited funds. The program currently airs live via satellite through the facilities of UHF Channel UNTV and various radio stations such as DZRH, UNTV-Radio La Verdad 1350, and 100 Radyo Natin FM Stations. While mainly broadcasting in Filipino, some English language elements were added for foreign viewers, including "Truth in Focus", "Biblically Speaking", "How Authentic the Bible is", and "Bible Guide". It also features the use of multi-lingual and multi-dialectic translations of the Bible.
The Members of the Church of God International denies several doctrines such as the Trinity and salvation by grace alone. The program frequently criticizes other denominations for their doctrines, practices and what it says are false teachings, including the Catholic Church, some Christian denominations, Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh-day Adventist Church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and especially the Iglesia ni Cristo, (Church of Christ founded by Felix Manalo), a Philippine-based religion.
Currently, Ang Dating Daan airs in 73 countries worldwide including United States, Latin America, Uruguay, Brazil, Portugal (as "O Caminho Antigo"), Spain (as "El Camino Antiguo"), India, Japan, South Africa, Saipan.
Suspension of broadcasting rights
On August 16, 2004, the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB) preventively suspended the showing of the Ang Dating Daan program for 20 days due to slander and use of offensive and obscene language by its televangelist host Eliseo Soriano, as a mean of disciplinary action.
On September 27, 2004, the MTRCB extended the suspension to three months. Soriano challenged the action in court, arguing that the suspension imposed by the MTRCB constituted prior restraint on the media and that his language during the show's August 10, 2004 broadcast was not obscene and offensive. The court dismissed his case in favor of MTRCB.
On June 2005, Soriano filed a motion by recommendation of the Commission on Human Rights, saying the MTRCB violated the "right to information, communication and religion" of every Filipino. On April 29, 2009, The Supreme Court upheld the suspension imposed by the MTRCB, ruling that Soriano’s statements can be treated as obscene and cannot be considered as protected speech.
Soriano filed a motion seeking the reversal of its April 2009 decision. The Supreme Court denied Soriano's motion and affirmed the decision with finality in 2010 by an 11-4 vote, noting that “it is a sanction that the MTRCB may validly impose under its charter without running afoul of the free speech clause." The high court reminded Soriano that his program, being aired on television, is accessible to children of all ages and therefore not appropriate for a program with a “G” or for general audience rating due to his use of vulgar language and invectives.
The case stemmed from a complaint filed by members of the Iglesia ni Cristo, including its minister Michael Sandoval, due to statements of Soriano aired on August 10 referring to the minister. As a result, Ang Dating Daan was asked by the Supreme Court of the Philippines to pay nearly P125 million compensation to the Iglesia Ni Cristo for libel, harassment and persecution of its members:
- Lehitimong anak ng demonyo! Sinungaling! [Legitimate son of demon! Liar!]
- Gago ka talaga, Michael! Masahol ka pa sa putang babae, o di ba? Yung putang babae, ang gumagana lang doon yung ibaba. Dito kay Michael, ang gumagana ang itaas, o di ba? O, masahol pa sa putang babae ‘yan. Sobra ang kasinungalingan ng mga demonyong ito. [You’re really stupid, Michael! O, worse than a whore, oh right? On that whore, what only works is under her (body). In Michael('s case), it's the top (part) that works, oh right? That's worse than a whore. These demons' lies are too much (to bear). ]
- Ang Dating Daan: By Demand
- Ang Dating Daan: Bible Exposition Worldwide
- Bible Guide
- Biblically Speaking with Bro. Eli Soriano
- Itanong mo kay Soriano, Biblia Ang Sasagot ("Ask Soriano, the Bible Will Answer")
- Kontradiksiyon ba? ("Is it a Contradiction?")
- Thanksgiving Day
- Truth In Focus
- Totally Present
Ang Dating Daan's UNTV is a station on UHF television that has been rendering numerous free services to the public continuously over the years. In Education, La Verdad Christian College is an institution funded and pioneered by Ang Dating Daan. Currently, there are two campuses where free college education is made available: the La Verdad Christian College in Caloocan, Metro Manila, and La Verdad Christian College in Apalit, Pampanga. These two campuses offer free tuition, free uniforms, free meals, and more.
On August 6, 2011, Members Church of God International opened a curriculum-based KNC Bible School. KNC is short for Kawan ng Cordero (Flock of Lambs), MCGI’s children’s ministry formed by MCGI Presiding Minister Bro. Eli Soriano more than 20 years ago. The ministry strives to teach children about the Christian way of living through Bible story readings, biblical topic lessons, Bible-centered competitions, and talent searches.
- Religion in the Philippines
- Daniel Razon
- Conflicts between Iglesia ni Cristo and Members Church of God International
- Aguirre, Roland (July 2008). The Gawad Amerika Awards 60 (7): 20–21.
- The Old Path Awarded as Most Informative
- Saipan Tribune - Members Church of God International Worldwide Bible Exposition
- MCGI reaches India
- "SC upholds suspension of ‘Ang Dating Daan’", Inquirer.net, March 16, 2010
- "SC upholds “Ang Dating Daan” suspension", Manila Bulletin, March 16, 2010
- "CHR pasok kay Bro. Eli", Pilipino Star Ngayon, May 27, 2005
- "SC upholds suspension on ‘Ang Dating Daan’", Inquirer.net, April 30, 2009
- "High court upholds MTRCB's suspension of 'Ang Dating Daan'", GMA News, April 30, 2009
- SC Upholds MTRCB Suspension of Ang Dating Daan Supreme Court of the Philippines, April 30, 2009