|Directed by||Mamoru Oshii|
|Screenplay by||Mamoru Oshii|
|Story by||Yoshitaka Amano
|Music by||Yoshihiro Kanno|
|Release dates||December 15, 1985|
|Running time||71 minutes|
Angel's Egg (天使のたまご Tenshi no Tamago ) is a Japanese anime film produced by Tokuma Shoten in 1985. The film was a collaboration between popular artist Yoshitaka Amano and director Mamoru Oshii. It features almost no spoken dialogue, and its spare plot and visual style have led to it being described as an 'animated painting.' 
Parts of the film were used in the 1988 sci-fi movie, "In the Aftermath".
Angel's Egg follows the daily life of an unnamed young girl (Mako Hyōdō) living in an abandoned, gothic-influenced city. She lives alone, and cares for a large egg which she carries with her as she explores the city. In a prologue, a soldier (Jinpachi Nezu) watches as an orb shaped vessel descends from above, carrying rows of Greek-influenced statues. Early in the film the girl encounters the soldier, who carries a cross-like weapon on his shoulder. The two speak occasionally, with most of their dialogue containing the repeated question 'who are you?'
The two travel together for a time and the girl takes the soldier to her home, where the two talk until the girl falls asleep. The girl awakes to find the soldier gone and the empty shell of the egg on the floor. She runs out and sees the departing soldier in the distance. She tries to follow him, but falls into a ravine and drowns. The film ends with the soldier watching as the vessel from the prologue rises from the ocean, this time with a statue of the girl and her egg added to the ranks of statues.
Angel's Egg did not do well with audiences or critics on its release, and Oshii has reportedly said that its failure "kept him from getting work for years." However, the film is better regarded today,  and currently has an audience rating of 85% on Rotten Tomatoes.
- Patten, Fred (2011). Watching Anime, Reading Manga: 25 Years of Essays and Reviews. Berkley, CA: Stone Bridge Press, Inc. ISBN 978-1-61172-510-0.
- Ruh, Brian (2004). Stray Dog of Anime: The Films of Mamoru Oshii. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-1-4039-6334-5.
- "Tenshi no tamago (Angel's Egg)(Egg of God) (1985) - Rotten Tomatoes". Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- Angel's Egg at the Internet Movie Database
- Angel's Egg (anime) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia
- Mamoru Oshii's Angel's Egg
- Yoshitaka Amano's Artwork for Angel's Egg
- Unofficial interpretation regarding film's symbolism
- Positive Review
- Negative Review (Archived 2009-10-25)
- J-pop.com review