Campos in 2009
August 22, 1973 |
In May 2011, Campos ejected Kansas City Royals catcher Matt Treanor from a game against the St. Louis Cardinals. Although the two were exchanging words, Treanor was not facing Campos at the time he was thrown out. Royals manager Ned Yost, who was also ejected, was later quoted as saying, "Nobody in the park knew that they were arguing. Nobody. And to eject the guy under those circumstances isn't right."
Again, in August 2012, Campos ejected Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp, who was in the dugout, in the second inning of a game against the Pittsburgh Pirates and in the same inning, Dodger Manager Don Mattingly. Dodgers players admitted to arguing with Campos concerning the strike zone in earlier innings. After a called strike from Pirates pitcher AJ Burnett was contested, Campos said said he had had enough but moments later, Kemp yelled to teammate Andre Ethier "let's go, Dre," and was subsequently removed from the game.
In September 2010, Campos became ill while a rain delay postponed the start of a regular season game between the Minnesota Twins and Cleveland Indians. He was taken to a Cleveland hospital and underwent an emergency appendectomy.
- "Umpire Angel Campos has emergency appendectomy". USAToday.com. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "Angel Campos". Retrosheet. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- Thorn, Cody. "Yost, Treaner ejected in defeat". St. Joseph News-Press. Retrieved 30 April 2012.[dead link]
- Paylor, Terez A. "Royals rally, then unravel, in 9-8 loss to Cardinals in 10 innings". The Kansas City Star (KansasCity.com). Retrieved 30 April 2012.[dead link]
- Kaegel, Dick (22 May 2011). "Yost, Treanor ejected during seventh inning". MLB.com. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- Rosecrns, C. Trent (16 August 2012). "Don Mattingly calls Matt Kemp's ejection 'unacceptable'". Eye on Baseball Blog (CBSSports.com). Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- "Sanchez makes most of opportunity, throws no-hitter in front of father". ESPN.Go.com. 10 July 2009. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- "Matt Cain throws perfect game, strikes out 14 as Giants drub Astros". ESPN.Go.com. Associated Press. 13 June 2012. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
|This biographical article relating to an American baseball umpire is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|