Angel Eyes (Love and Theft song)
|Single by Love and Theft|
|from the album Love and Theft|
|Released||November 14, 2011|
|Love and Theft singles chronology|
"Angel Eyes" is the title of a song by the American country music duo Love and Theft. Eric Gunderson, one-half of the duo, co-wrote it with Jeff Coplan and Eric Paslay. It is Love and Theft's first single without group member Brian Bandas, and the first from their album Love and Theft. The song became the group's second Top 10 and first Number 1 showing on the Hot Country Songs chart.
The song is about a rebellious female lover who is described as having "a little bit of devil in those angel eyes". Paslay told Taste of Country that the title came out in conversation, and that he "just wanted to make sure it didn’t sound too serious on that song. It’s a fun song. I’m glad that they recorded it and that it’s out there."
Taste of Country writer Billy Dukes gave the song three stars out of five, saying that its story has "been told thousand of times before" but that it is "still really difficult to resist". Bobby Peacock of Roughstock rated it four stars out of five, saying that its sound was "fresh and interesting."
Directed by Chris Hicky, the video features the duo falling for two different girls: Eric picks up a brunette-haired woman wearing a leather jacket and a pair of jeans (who carries a flask with her) at a stable on his motorcycle. Stephen picks up a blonde-haired woman wearing a white long coat and scarf with a skirt at her house in his Ford Mustang. They both reach a late-night outdoor party where they meet their friends and hang out by drinking beer and dancing near the campfire. The video ends with the duo taking their respective dates to the same church and revealing that both women are Preacher's daughters.
On the week of August 25, 2012, "Angel Eyes" became Love and Theft's first number-one single.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||68|
|US Billboard Hot 100||32|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||21|
by Kenny Chesney
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
August 25, 2012
by Blake Shelton
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Love and Theft To Release Their Self-Titled RCA Records Debut On June 5". RCA Records. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- Conaway, Alanna (1 December 2011). "Love and Theft, ‘Angel Eyes’ – Lyrics Uncovered". Taste of Country. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- Dukes, Billy (24 October 2011). "Love and Theft, ‘Angel Eyes’ – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- Peacock, Bobby (2 January 2012). "Single Review: Love and Theft - Angel Eyes". Roughstock. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Love and Theft Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Love and Theft.
- "Love and Theft Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Love and Theft.
- "Love and Theft Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Love and Theft.
- "Best of 2012: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- "American single certifications – Love and Theft – Angel Eyes". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved August 10, 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH