|Birth name||Angela Nathalie Gossow|
|Born||5 November 1974|
|Genres||Melodic death metal, thrash metal, death metal|
|Occupations||Singer-songwriter, manager, journalist|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, accordion|
|Associated acts||Arch Enemy, Mistress, Asmodina|
Angela Nathalie Gossow (born 5 November 1974, in Cologne, Germany) is the lead vocalist for the Swedish melodic death metal band Arch Enemy. Her previous bands include Asmodina and Mistress. She is considered to be one of the few successful female metal singers to use growling as her primary singing style. Her main influences are Jeff Walker of Carcass, David Vincent of Morbid Angel, Chuck Billy of Testament, John Tardy of Obituary, Chuck Schuldiner of Death, Dave Mustaine of Megadeth, and Rob Halford of Judas Priest.
Angela Gossow was born to orthodox Christian parents in Cologne, Germany and had three siblings. She was 17 when her parents got divorced. Further financial troubles came in when their business went bankrupt. Being anorexic and bulimic further added to her woes. It was at this time that she decided to move out of home and join the metal band Asmodina. After graduation she joined an advertising company as a trainee, specializing in marketing. She simultaneously began studying economics. In 1997, the band Asmodina split and Gossow formed another band: Mistress.
Career with Arch Enemy
Gossow joined Arch Enemy in November 2000, after former lead singer Johan Liiva was removed from the band. She had previously interviewed guitarist Michael Amott for a German webzine. While interviewing Amott, Gossow gave him a demo that she described as a "poor quality" video of a performance at a club. When the band sacked then-vocalist Johan Liiva in 2000, Arch Enemy called in Gossow for an audition. Amott said that "she wiped the floor with all the other contenders." She then proceeded to record Wages of Sin with Arch Enemy. However, before the band could take off for tour in 2002, Gossow was diagnosed with nodules, which almost stopped her from growling. However, after some vocal therapy, she was able to recover her voice and she proceeded to begin taking piano and screaming lessons from renowned coach Melissa Cross. She continues to work in close conjunction with her.
Gossow provides the voice for the recurring character, Lavona Succuboso in the animated television show Metalocalypse. According to an interview with Musiikki TV at the Frostbite Festival 2009, Gossow did guest vocals on the Astarte album Demonized, on the song "Black at Heart".
Gossow is featuring on Melissa Cross's 2nd DVD release The Zen of Screaming 2 released by Melissa Cross. Apart from being on the cover pages of many leading magazines, she was also voted the "best singer" and "shining star" at the Burrn! magazine awards in 2002. Since 2008 she is the manager for Arch Enemy and Spiritual Beggars.
Gossow is among a small number of women to front as a death metal vocalist. She has a mezzo-soprano vocal range, with a death growl. She is a vegan and politically considers herself an anarchist, but votes "to make sure the right-wing doesn't get her vote." She is an atheist. She is also married to her band's guitarist, Mike Amott, since 2003.
- Your Hidden Fear (Demo, 1991)
- The Story of the True Human Personality (Demo, 1994)
- Promo 1996 (Demo, 1996)
- Inferno (1997)
- Mistress (Demo, 1998)
- Worship the Temptress (Demo, 1999)
- Party in Hell (Demo, 2000)
With Arch Enemy
- Wages of Sin (2001)
- Burning Angel (2002, EP)
- Anthems of Rebellion (2003)
- Dead Eyes See No Future (2004, EP)
- Doomsday Machine (2005)
- Live Apocalypse (2006, 2-disc DVD)
- Revolution Begins (2007, EP)
- Rise of the Tyrant (2007)
- Tyrants of the Rising Sun (2008)
- The Root of All Evil (2009)
- Khaos Legions (2011)
- Annihilator - Couple Suicide (2007) 
- Astarte – Black at Heart (2007)
- Amaseffer - Midian (2008)
- Doro - Celebrate (The Night of the Warlock) (2008)
- Doro - Celebrate (2009)
- Kalisia - Cybion (2009)
- Never – Questions Within (2009)
- Rise - Pentagramnation (2009)
- "Angela Gossow || Official Site and Blog » FAQ’s". Web.archive.org. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- Nina (17 October 2010). "Angelagossow Dot Com - Resist.Rebel.Reclaim". Angelagossow.com. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- "Ragnarök Radio Interview with Angela Gossow". Archived from the original on 26 February 2009. Retrieved 25 February 2009.
- "Welcome to the Melissa Cross Vocal Studio :: Vocal Training, Vocal Coaching and Voice Lessons on DVD". Melissacross.com. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET - ARCH ENEMY Clean Up At Burrn! Magazine Awards". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- "Arch Enemy - Interview with Angela Gossow - Enslain Magazine". Ladyenslain.net. 20 June 2009. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- 4:55 PM. "Arch Enemy's Angela Gossow Discusses Her Vegan Diet With Peta2". Metalunderground.com. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- Rustyn Rose (21 May 2011). "Arch Enemy: The Gospel According To Gossow – ‘There Is No God’". Metalholic Magazine. Retrieved 21 May 2011.
- Angela Gossow FAQ - What is your take on religion?
- "Angela Gossow - Guest/Session". Metal-Archives. 8 April 2012. Retrieved 8 April 2012.
- "Arch Enemy frontwoman to guest on Never album". Blabbermouth.net. 27 February 2009. Archived from the original on 28 February 2009. Retrieved 27 February 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Angela Gossow.|
|Vocalist for Arch Enemy