Angela P. Harris
Angela P. Harris (born c. 1959) is a legal scholar at UC Davis School of Law, in the fields of critical race theory, feminist legal scholarship, and criminal law. She held the position of Professor of Law at UC Berkeley School of Law, joining the faculty in 1988. In 2009, Professor Harris joined the faculty of the State University of New York at Buffalo Law School as a Visiting Professor. In 2010, she also assumed the role of Acting Vice Dean for Research & Faculty Development. In 2011, she accepted an offer to join the faculty at the UC Davis School of Law, and began teaching as a Professor of Law in the 2011-2012 academic year.
Harris earned a B.A. from the University of Michigan in 1981, and her M.A. (1983) and J.D. (1986) from the University of Chicago. She clerked for Judge Joel Flaum of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, and worked as an attorney for the law firm of Morrison and Foerster. She was tenured at Berkeley in 1992
Harris has won the Rutter Award for Teaching Distinction (2003; established 1995), and the 2003 Matthew O. Tobriner Public Service Award, a San Francisco Bay Area award, for commitment to academic diversity and legal mentoring. In 2008, Harris won the Clyde Ferguson Award from the Association of American Law Schools Minority Section.
- "Race and Essentialism in Feminist Legal Theory", 42 Stanford Law Review 581 (1990)
- "Embracing the Tar-Baby: LatCrit Theory and the Sticky Mess of Race", 85 California Law Review 1585 (1997) (with Leslie Espinoza)
- Gender and Law: Theory, Doctrine, Commentary (with Katharine T. Bartlett, 1998)
- Race and Races: Cases and Resources for a Diverse America (with Juan Perea, Richard Delgado and Stephanie Wildman, 2000) (law casebook)
- Criminal Law: Cases and Materials (with Cynthia Lee, 2005) (criminal law casebook)
- Faculty & Staff - University at Buffalo Law School, retrieved October 6, 2011
- Prominent Faculty From UC Berkeley, UC Hastings and Arizona Join UC Davis, law.ucdavis.edu, retrieved October 6, 2011
- Guerrero, Andrea, Silence at Boalt Hall: The Dismantling of Affirmative Action, p. 177[not in citation given]
- Angela Harris Wins Rutter Award for Teaching Distinction, UC Berkeley 2003 news, retrieved October 6, 2011