Anglican Diocese of Egypt
|Diocese of Egypt
ابروشية الكنيسة الأسقفية بمصر (Arabic)
|Territory||North Africa and the Horn of Africa|
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of Jerusalem and the Middle East|
|Cathedral||All Saints Cathedral, Zamalek, Cairo, Egypt|
|Bishop||Mouneer Hanna Anis|
Diocese of Egypt and North Africa
Diocese of Jerusalem
Diocese of Cyprus and the Gulf
Diocese of Iran
The Anglican Diocese of Egypt was originally part of the Diocese of Jerusalem, founded in 1841 by the Archbishop of Canterbury. The Diocese of Egypt was later given autonomy and its first bishop was Llwellyn Gwynne (1920-1946).
Its jurisdiction extends over North Africa and the Horn of Africa, a vast region encompassing the following countries: Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia and Djibouti. The diocese is part of the Province of Jerusalem and the Middle East, and is headed by the Bishop of Egypt. The current bishop is The Most. Rev. Dr. Mouneer Hanna Anis.
In Egypt itself the Diocese of thirteen churches and three "congregations" which "meet from time to time."
A number of churches are in the Greater Cairo area.
- All Saints Cathedral, Zamalek
- Jesus Light of the World Church, Old Cairo
- Church for the Deaf, Old Cairo
- Church of the Good Shepherd, Heliopolis
- St. John the Baptist Church, Maadi
- Church of the Good Shepherd, Giza
Other churches are spread throughout the country.
- St. Mark's Church, Menouf
- St Paul's Church, Ezbit en Nakhl
- Church of our Saviour, Suez
- Church of the Epiphany, Port Said
Episcopal Area of North Africa
- Christ the King Church, Tripoli, Libya
- St. George's Anglican Church, Tunis, Tunisia
- Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Algiers, Algeria
Episcopal Area of the Horn of Africa
- St. Matthew's Anglican Church, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- There is also extense mission activity in the Gambela Region.
- Miller, Duane Alexander (August 2011). "Book Review: THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH AND THE MIDDLE EAST BY CHARLES THORLEY BRIDGEMAN (NEW YORK: MOREHOUSE-GORHAM, 1958)". St Francis Magazine 7 (3): 125–128. Retrieved 15 November 2012.
- Strengholt, Jos (June 2012). "ST GEORGE’S ANGLICAN CHURCH, TUNIS A BRIEF HISTORY". St Francis Magazine 8 (3): 306–317. Retrieved 15 November 2012.
- "The Province of Jerusalem and the Middle East". Official website of the Episcopal Anglican Diocese of Egypt. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- Churches of Egypt
- The Episcopal Area of North Africa
- "Horn of Africa". Diocese of Egypt. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- The Episcopal Area of the Horn of Africa
- Gambella Region