Diocese of Gippsland
|Diocese of Gippsland|
|Cathedral||Cathedral Church of St Paul, Sale|
The Anglican Diocese of Gippsland is located in the Gippsland region of Victoria, Australia, extending from Phillip Island to Mallacoota. It has existed as a diocese since 1902, when the Rt Revd Arthur Wellesley Pain was installed at the first Bishop of Gippsland.
As of December 2014 the diocese is currently under the oversight of the administrator, the Ven Philip Muston, following the death of the Rt Revd John McIntyre on 6 June 2014. On 11 December 2014 the Rt Revd Kay Goldsworthy, an assistant bishop in the Anglican Diocese of Perth since 2008, was elected as the 12th bishop of the diocese. She will due to be installed in 2015.
The Diocese of Gippsland was created after a movement to divide the Diocese of Melbourne, the oldest Anglican diocese in Victoria, established in 1847. Talk began of this as early as 1885 and in 1900 a bill was passed to create the Diocese of Sandhurst-Beechworth. Debate continued after this decision and eventually led to another bill in 1901, with which three new dioceses were created. Along with Ballarat and Wangaratta, the Diocese of Gippsland came into existence in the following year. The bishops of each of these dioceses were elected by a body made up of the Bishop of Melbourne, four members of the Melbourne Bishopric Election Board, four clergy from the area in question and four laity. The Reverend Canon Arthur Wellesley Pain was chosen to be the first to preside over the Diocese of Gippsland. He was consecrated as a bishop in St Andrew's Cathedral in Sydney, having previously ministered at St John's Darlinghurst in Sydney. He was then installed as Bishop of Gippsland in the Cathedral of St Paul in Gippsland on 10 July 1902.
- 1902 - 1917 Arthur Wellesley Pain
- 1917 - 1942 George Harvard Cranswick
- 1942 - 1954 Donald Burns Blackwood
- 1955 - 1958 Edwin John Davidson
- 1959 - 1974 David Arthur Garnsey
- 1975 - 1980 Graham Richard Delbridge
- 1980 - 1987 Neville James Chynoweth
- 1987 - 1994 Colin Davies Sheumack (previously Dean of Bathurst)
- 1994 - 2001 Arthur Vivian Lucas Jones
- 2001 - 2005 Jeffrey William Driver (translated to Anglican Diocese of Adelaide)
- 2006 - 6 June 2014 John Charles McIntyre
- H.W. Nunn; A Short History of the Church of England in Victoria 1847-1947 (1947)
- Albert E. Clarke; The Church of our Fathers
- I. T. Maddern; Light and Life A history of the Anglican Church in Gippsland
- Anglican Diocese of Gippsland. "Gippsland Anglican Website". Retrieved 18 October 2012.