|Principality (Duchy) of Anhalt-Köthen|
|Fürstentum (Herzogtum) Anhalt-Köthen|
|State of the Holy Roman Empire
Member of the Confederation of the Rhine
Member of the German Confederation
|Historical era||Middle Ages|
|-||Inherited by Anhalt-Dessau||1552|
|-||Partitioned to create
|-||Raised to duchy||1806|
|-||Duchy of Anhalt reunited||1863|
|Today part of||Germany|
Anhalt-Köthen has existed on two separate occasions. The first state was created in 1396 when the Anhalt-Zerbst was partitioned between Anhalt-Dessau and Anhalt-Köthen. The first creation lasted until 1552 when it was inherited by Anhalt-Dessau.
It was created for a second time in 1603 with the partition of Anhalt-Zerbst. With the death of Prince Augustus Louis in 1774 the principality was split, with the new state of Anhalt-Pless being created.
In 1806 Anhalt-Köthen was raised to a Duchy. With the death of Duke Henry on 23 November 1847 the Anhalt-Köthen line became extinct and its territories were united to Anhalt-Dessau by patent of 22 May 1853.
Princes of Anhalt-Köthen 1396–1561
- Albert IV 1396–1423
- Waldemar V 1423–1436 (co-regent)
- Adolph I 1423–1473
- Albert VI 1473–1475 (co-regent)
- Magnus 1475–1508 (co-regent) (d. 1524)
- Adolph II 1475–1508 (co-regent) (d. 1526)
- Philip 1475–1500 (co-regent)
- Waldemar VI 1471–1508 (Anhalt-Dessau)
- Wolfgang 1508–1562 (d. 1566)
To Anhalt-Dessau 1562.
Princes of Anhalt-Köthen 1603–1806
- Louis 1603–1650
- Augustus of Anhalt-Plötzkau regent 1650–1653
- Lebrecht and Emmanuel of Anhalt-Plötzkau joint regents 1653–1659
- William Louis 1650–1665
- Lebrecht 1665–1669
- Emmanuel 1665–1670 (co-ruler)
- Emmanuel Lebrecht 1671–1704
- Gisela Agnes of Rath regent 1704–1715
- Leopold 1704–1728
- Augustus Louis 1728–1755
- Karl George Lebrecht 1755–1789
- Augustus Christian Frederick 1789–1806
Raised to Duchy 1806.
Dukes of Anhalt-Köthen 1806-1847
- Augustus Christian Frederick 1806–1812
- Louis Augustus Karl Frederick Emil 1812–1818
- Frederick Ferdinand 1818–1830
- Henry 1830–1847
To Anhalt-Dessau 1847.
- Hertslet 1875, p. 245.
- Regnal chronology
- Hertslet, Edward (1875), The map of Europe by treaty; showing the various political and territorial changes which have taken place since the general peace of 1814, London: Butterworths