Anil Agarwal (businessman)
24 January 1954 |
Patna, Bihar, India
|Occupation||Chairman of Vedanta Resources|
|Net worth||$3.5 billion (2012)|
|Children||2 - Agnivesh (son) and Priya (daughter)|
Anil Agarwal (born 24 January 1954) is an Indian businessman and the founder and executive chairman of the UK-based Vedanta Resources PLC.
Agarwal was born in a Marwari family in Patna, Bihar in 1954. His father was a small-businessman who made aluminium conductors. Agarwal, was a matriculate from Miller High School, Patna, Bihar. He is a strict vegetarian.
Agarwal founded Sterlite Industries, a business operating in the industrial sector in 1976 and then in 1986 established Vedanta Resources bringing together a variety of businesses owned by the Agarwal family.
Agarwal lives in London and is married, with two children. He has said that his inspiration in life is Radhanath Swami, a well-known current spiritual guru of the Hare Krishna movement, whom Agarwal knows personally.
- Forbes topic page on Anil Agarwal Forbes.com. Retrieved April 2010.
- "Lunch with BS: Anil Agarwal 'I have come a long way'". Jyoti Mukul & Mansi Taneja. business-standard. December 27, 2013. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "Board of Trustees". vedantafoundation.org. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- Vedanta Resources Senior Mananagement
- BALCO was the first Public Sector Company that was dis-invested in India and Anil Agarwal has the credit of taking the majority shares and turning around the fortunes of this ailing public sector aluminium company. The other major Indian companies are Hindustan Zinc, Sesa Goa, Vedanta Aluminium, Sesa Sterlite, Sterlite Energy etc. Vedanta Resources History
- "Anil Agarwal, Rahul Bajaj make it to top 10 billionaires list". rediff.com. 2003-12-01. Archived from the original on 13 September 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-25.
- Anil Agarwal introduces His Holiness Radhanath Swami