Anil Agarwal (environmentalist)
Anil Agarwal (1947- January 2, 2002) was an Indian environmentalist, trained as a mechanical engineer at IIT Kanpur, worked as a science correspondent for the Hindustan Times and founded Centre for Science and Environment in 1980 . He was the founder and editor of Down to Earth a science and environment magazine, and wrote widely for international publications. He wrote numerous books on science and environment in India.
In 1987, the United Nations Environment Programme elected him to its Global 500 Roll of Honour for his work in the national and international arena. The Indian Government also honoured him with Padma Shri (1986) and Padma Bhushan (2002) for his work in environment and development. 
- Agarwal, A. and S. Narain. 1982. The State of India’s Environment: A Citizens’ Report, New Delhi: Centre for Science and Environment.
- Agarwal, A. and S. Narain. 1989. Towards Green Villages: A Strategy for Environmentally Sound and Participatory Rural Development. New Delhi: Centre for Science and Environment.
- Agarwal, A and S.Narain (eds.). 1991. Floods, Flood Plains and Environmental Myths. New Delhi: Centre for Science and Environment.
- Agarwal, A. and S. Narain. 1991. Global Warming in an Unequal World. New Delhi: Centre for Science and Environment.
- Agarwal, A. and S. Narain. 1992. Towards a Greener World: Should Global Environmental Management be Built on Legal Convention or Human Rights? New Delhi: Centre for Science and Environment.
- Agarwal, A. (ed.) 1997. Homicide by Pesticides: What Pollution does to our Bodies. New Delhi: Centre for Science and Environment, State of the Environment Series 4.
- Anil Agarwal, The Challenges for the 21st Century, February 3, 1999 accessed at  UNEP/Grid-A official website August 29, 2006
- Baviskar, A. 2002. An activist–environmentalist, Anil Agarwal, 1947–2002. Frontline 19: 2, February 1.
- CSE official biography.
- Forsyth, T.J. 2005. Anil Agarwal, pp. 9–14 in Simon, D. (ed.) Fifty Key Thinkers on Development, London and New York: Routledge.
- Jupiter, T. 2002. Anil Agarwal: India’s leading environmental campaigner. The Guardian, 11 January, .
- Obituary - An activist-environmentalist, in Frontline Vol.19:Issue 02, Jan 2002
- In memory of Anil Agarwal, MS Danish Association for International Co-operation
- Ever the Mentor, December 19, 2005 at IndianNGOs.com