||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
Ambani in 2009
4 June 1959 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Residence||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Alma mater||Warwick Business School
The Wharton School
|Occupation||Chairman of Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group|
|Net worth||$6.2 billion (2013)|
|Relatives||Mukesh Ambani (Brother)|
Anil Dhirubhai Ambani (Gujarati: અનીલ ધીરજલાલ (ધીરૂભાઈ) અંબાણી), born on 4 June 1959, is an Indian businessman. He is the chairman of Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group, one of the largest private conglomerates in India. Anil's elder brother Mukesh Ambani is the chairman of Reliance Industries. The Ambani family is the richest family in India and one of the richest in the world, their wealth inherited from Dhirubhai Ambani, founder of The Reliance Group, the largest Indian conglomerate. Mr Ambani is a member of the Board of Overseers at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He is also the member of the Board of Governors of the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur; Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad. Ambani was also a member of the Central Advisory Committee, Central Electricity Regulatory Commission, however in March of 2006, he resigned. He is also the Chairman of Board of Governors of DA-IICT, Gandhinagar.
Anil Ambani joined Reliance Industries, the company founded by his late father Dhirubhai Ambani, in 1983 as Co-Chief Executive Officer and is credited with having pioneered many financial innovations in the Indian capital markets. For example, he led India's first forays into overseas capital markets with international public offerings of global depositary receipts, convertibles and bonds. He directed Reliance in its efforts to raise, since 1991, around US$2 billion from overseas financial markets; with a 100-year Yankee bond issue in January 1997 being the high point, after which people regarded him as a financial wizard. He along with his brother, Mukesh Ambani, has steered the Reliance Group to its current status as India's leading textiles, petroleum, petrochemicals, power, and telecom company.() He is a close friend of movie stars Amitabh Bachchan and Subrata Roy. A major achievement in the entertainment industry is his takeover of Adlabs, the movie production-to-distribution-to-multiplex company that owns India's only dome theatre. A joint venture worth US$ 825 million with Steven Spielberg. was recently announced.
Awards and recognition
- Conferred the 'Businessman of the Year 1997' award by India's leading business magazine Business India, December 1997.
-  Forbes.com. Retrieved April 2013.
- "India Today 2005 Power List". Indiatoday.com. 2005-02-21. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- Forbes http://www.forbes.com/wealth/billionaires#p_1_s_arank_-1__66
|url=missing title (help).
- Gayatri, R Shah (22 October 2010). "Ambani & Sons': The story of India's richest family". CNNGO.
- "Management". Daiict.ac.in. Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- Profile at Reliance ADAG
- Profile at Forbes
- Anil Ambani collected news and commentary at The New York Times
- Anil Ambani collected news and commentary at The Wall Street Journal
- Anil Ambani collected news and commentary at The Guardian
- Anil Ambani: collected news and commentary at The Times of India