Anil K. Jain
- For the Indian/American electrical engineer see Anil K. Jain (electrical engineer)
Anil K. Jain (born 1948) is an Indian-American computer scientist and University Distinguished Professor in the Department of Computer Science & Engineering at Michigan State University, known for his contributions in the fields of pattern recognition, computer vision and biometric recognition. According to Google Scholar, he has an h-index of 143, the second highest among computer scientists.
Born in India, Jain received his Bachelor of Technology in electrical engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur in 1969. He received his MS and PhD from the Ohio State University in 1970 and 1973, respectively.
Jain is an ISI Highly Cited researcher. In 2007, he received the IEEE W. Wallace McDowell Award for his pioneering contributions to theory, technique, and practice of pattern recognition, computer vision, and biometric recognition systems. He has also received numerous other awards, including the Guggenheim Fellowship, Humboldt Research Award, IAPR Pierre Devijver Award, Fulbright Fellowship, IEEE Computer Society Technical Achievement award, IAPR King-Sun Fu Prize, and IEEE ICDM Research Contribution Award. He is a Fellow of the ACM, IEEE, AAAS, IAPR and SPIE. He also received best paper awards from the IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks (1996) and the Pattern Recognition (journal) journal (1987, 1991, and 2005).
He served as a member of the National Academies panels on Information Technology, Whither Biometrics and Improvised Explosive Devices (IED). He also served as a member of the Defense Science Board.
- 1988. Algorithms For Clustering Data. With Richard C. Dubes. Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- 1993. Markov Random Fields: Theory and Applications. With Rama Chellappa eds. Academic Press.
- 1999. Biometrics: personal identification in networked society. With Ruud M. Bolle and Sharath Pankanti eds. Springer.
- 2003. Handbook of Fingerprint Recognition. (2nd edition 2008). With D. Maio, D. Maltoni, S. Prabhakar. Springer.
- 2005. Handbook of Face Recognition. (2nd edition 2011). With S. Z. Li ed. Springer.
- 2006. Handbook of Multibiometrics. With A. Ross and K. Nandakumar. Springer.
- 2007. Handbook of Biometrics. With P. Flynn and A. Ross eds. Springer.
- 2011. Introduction to Biometrics. With A. Ross and K. Nandakumar. Springer.
- Research Articles
- Cross, George R. and Anil K. Jain. "Markov random field texture models." IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (1983): 25-39.
- Jain, Anil K., and Farshid Farrokhnia. "Unsupervised texture segmentation using Gabor filters." Pattern recognition 24.12 (1991): 1167-1186.
- Jain, Anil K., and Douglas Zongker. "Feature selection: Evaluation, application, and small sample performance." IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 19.2 (1997): 153-158.
- Hsu, Rein-Lien, Mohamed Abdel-Mottaleb, and Anil K. Jain. "Face detection in color images." IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 24.5 (2002): 696-706.
- Figueiredo, Mario A.T. and Anil K. Jain. "Unsupervised learning of finite mixture models." IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 24.3 (2004): 381-396.
- Survey Articles
- Jain, Anil K., M. Narasimha Murty, and Patrick J. Flynn. "Data clustering: a review." ACM computing surveys (CSUR) 31.3 (1999): 264-323.
- Jain, Anil K., Robert P. W. Duin, and Jianchang Mao. "Statistical pattern recognition: A review." IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 22.1 (2000): 4-37.
- Jain, Anil K., Arun Ross, and Salil Prabhakar. "An introduction to biometric recognition." IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 14.1 (2004): 4-20.
- Jain, Anil K. "Biometric Recognition: Q & A", Nature, Vol. 449, pp. 38–40, Sept. 2007.
- Jain, Anil K. "Data Clustering: 50 Years Beyond K-Means", Pattern Recognition Letters, Vol. 31, No. 8, pp. 651–666, June 2010.