Animal Fair (song)
The version attested in 1898 has the following lyrics:
- I went to the animal fair,
- The birds and the beasts were there,
- The old raccoon by the light of the moon
- Was combing his auburn hair
- The monkey he got drunk
- And fell on the elephant's trunk
- The elephant sneezed and went down on his knees
- And what became of the monk?
Other versions substituted "the old raccoon" (1915) for "the little raccoon", while modern recordings use "the big baboon" or "the old baboon". The Barney and Captain Kangaroo versions changed other lyrics as well.
- Sung in Barney & Friends episodes The Dentist Makes Me Smile (1993) and Barney's Super Singing Circus (2000).
- Captain Kangaroo with Mitch Miller orchestra & The Sandpipers (1958)
- Sung by Richard Dreyfuss's character Moses Wine to his sons in the film "The Big Fix" (1978)