Animal Justice Party
|Animal Justice Party|
|Headquarters||Blakehurst, New South Wales, Australia|
|Ideology||Animal rights advocacy|
|Animal Justice Party|
Animal Justice Party (AJP) is a political party in Australia representing an animal rights perspective in the Australian political arena. On 3 May 2011, the Animal Justice Party was approved by the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) and AJP was federally registered as a political party under the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918, making the party eligible for federal funding. AJP is the first political party in Australia formed to advance animal rights issues.
The preamble of the AJP charter says the party "has been formed as a response to growing public concern about the neglect of animals and animal protection issues by political parties" and states its mission is "to promote and protect the interests and capabilities of animals by providing a dedicated voice for them in Australia’s political system." The party aims to give animals constitutional protection based on their sentience, as opposed to their instrumental value.
In 2011, in the light of the an Australian Broadcasting Corporation's television footage showing abuse and the slaughter of cattle from the Northern Territory in conditions that would not have been permitted in Australia, as well as the consequential nationwide protests by supporters of animal welfare, AJP, along with the Australasian Meat Industry Employees Union (AMIEU), sought a ban on live animal exports. Steve Garlick, president of the Animal Justice Party, said that rural Australia has been adversely affected by the export of live animals and argued that the export ban would result in economic and social benefit in the country.[why?]
Candidates for Federal Election 2013 
NSW: Mark Pearson (1) call 0417 252 107, Kate Vickers (2)
ACT: Marcus Fillinger (1) call 0418 487 160, Jessica Montagne (2)
Victoria: Bruce Poon (1) call 0400 248 226, Cherie Wilson (2)
South Australia: Colin Thomas (1) call 0403 312 493, Sally Sutton (2)
Western Australia: Katrina Love (1) call 0401 674 588, Alicia Sutton (2)
See also 
- "Professor Steve Garlick MCom, PhD, FAUCEA". Europa. Retrieved 14 February 2012.
- "Animal Justice Party - Contact". Animal Justice Party. Retrieved 14 February 2012.
- Massola, James (4 May 2011). "Questions for Pakistan as Bin Laden raid details emerge". The Australian. Retrieved 14 February 2012.
- "Application for party registration approved - Animal Justice Party". Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 14 February 2012.
- "A New Political Party FOR the Animals!". Animals Australia. Retrieved 14 February 2012.
- "Animal Justice Party - Our Charter". Animal Justice Party. Retrieved 14 February 2012.
- "Aussies march to end live cattle exports". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 14 February 2012.
- Jeanes, Tim (21 July 2011). "Animal lobby and meatworkers united against live exports". ABC News. Retrieved 14 February 2011.