|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015)|
|Industry||CGI visual effects and animation
Number of locations
|Products||Animated films, Visual effects|
Animal Logic is an Australian animation and visual effects studio based at Fox Studios in Sydney, Australia and Warner Bros. Studios in Los Angeles, California, USA. Established in 1991, Animal Logic has produced visual effects and animation for feature films such as The Great Gatsby, Walking with Dinosaurs 3D, The Matrix, 300, the Academy Award-winning Happy Feet, Moulin Rouge! and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole. Animal Logic also produced the animation on The Lego Movie, directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller and released in February 2014. Animal Logic was recognised for its work as lead visual effects vendor on Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby, when it won Outstanding Achievement in Visual Effects at the 3rd AACTA Awards ceremony.
In 1991, Zareh Nalbandian and Chris Godfrey formed and founded a digital studio in Crows Nest, Sydney, Australia. The company was named Animal Logic and was born out of the now defunct Video Paint Brush Company. Animal Logic moved to Fox Studios Australia in Moore Park, Sydney, in 1998.
Initially Animal Logic's core business was the design and production of high-end visual effects for commercials and television programs, and early success within these fields provided a platform for expansion into feature film work. Animal Logic went on to produce visual effects for many large budget feature film projects, including Moulin Rouge!, The Matrix, Babe: Pig in the City, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, Planet of the Apes, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, World Trade Center, Fool's Gold, 300, Knowing, Australia, Sucker Punch and most recently The Great Gatsby.
In 2002, Animal Logic began work on its first computer-animated feature film, the Academy Award-winning Happy Feet, for director George Miller. Released in the United States on 17 November 2006, the project saw the company expand significantly, recruiting up to 300 artists and technicians from Australia and around the world. Happy Feet, which was the first computer animated feature film produced in Australia, went on to win the inaugural Academy Award for Best Animated Feature as well as the BAFTA Award for Best Animated Film. Their full-length feature animation, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, was released on 24 September 2010 and was Australia's first animated feature to be released in 3D stereoscopic.
In 2011, the company produced and animated LEGO Star Wars: The Padawan Menace, a 30-minute TV special. Produced for Lucasfilm and Cartoon Network, the special premiered in the United States on cartoon Network and was followed by a worldwide DVD and Blu-ray release.
2012 saw the release of the Animal Logic-animated "Polar Bowl" campaign, consisting of a 60-second and two 30-second commercials that aired at halftime at the Super Bowl XLVI. The campaign aimed to re-launch the iconic Coca-Cola polar bear characters to a new generation. Following the success of the 3 spots, which were viewed by over 160 million people globally, the company went on to animate a 6-minute short film directed by John Stevenson to headline Coca-Cola's 2013 global campaign. The film was first released through YouTube in December 2012, followed by a worldwide international cinema release.
Most recently the company led animation and visual effects work on BBC Earth and Evergreen Films' 3D live action feature Walking with Dinosaurs 3D. Animal Logic was the animation studio for the 2014 American computer-animated adventure comedy film, The Lego Movie, directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller. The film is based on the Lego line of construction toys.
In 2012 Animal Logic acquired the assets of fellow Australian visual effects studio Fuel VFX, known for their work on feature films such as Iron Man 3, Prometheus, The Avengers, Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol, Cowboys & Aliens, Captain America: The First Avenger and Thor.
Trading under the name Animal Logic VFX, Fuel VFX is now part of the Animal Logic Group of Companies.
|2014||BAFTA Award for Best Animated Film ||The LEGO Movie|
|2014||AACTA Award for Best Visual Effects or Animation ||The LEGO Movie|
|2014||Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Animated Feature ||The LEGO Movie|
|2014||BAFTA Children's Award for Best Feature Film 2014 ||The LEGO Movie|
|2014||New York Film Critics Circle for Best Animated Film of the Year ||The LEGO Movie|
|2013||AACTA Award for Outstanding Achievement in Visual Effects||The Great Gatsby|
|2013||AEAF Award for Visual Effects||The Great Gatsby|
|2011||AACTA Award for Best Visual Effects||Legend of the Guardians: The Owl's of Ga'Hoole|
|2009||AFI Award for Best Visual Effects||Australia|
|2008||Satellite Award for Best Visual Effects||Australia|
|2007||Washington DC Area Film Critic Award for Best Animated Film of the Year||Happy Feet|
|2007||Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award: Best Animation||Happy Feet|
|2007||Academy Award for Best Animated Feature||Happy Feet|
|2007||New York Film Critics Circle for Best Animated Film of the Year||Happy Feet|
|2007||New York Film Critics Online for Best Animated Film of the Year||Happy Feet|
|2005||Satellite Award for Best Visual Effects||House of Flying Daggers|
|2005||AIMIA Awards, Finalist - Best Entertainment Award Category||Stealth|
|2003||Satellite Award for Best Visual Effects||Moulin Rouge!|
|2012||Silver Award Awards for Craft in Film (Animation)||SBS: Seven Billion Stories and Counting|
|2007||World Gold Medal for Most Innovative Music Video||Telemetry Orchestra, Under the Cherry Tree|
|2006||AEAF Award, Best Music Video||Telemetry Orchestra, Under the Cherry Tree|
|2005||Digital Imaging Awards for Best Print Advertising Melbourne||Smirnoff, Letterbar|
|2005||ATV Award for Best Program Subtitle Sequence||Spicks and Specks|
|2005||ATV Award for Best Image Promotion, HIghly Commended||Cartoon Network|
|2005||ATV Award for Best Program Subtitle Sequence, Highly Commended||Margaret and David at the Movies|
|2004||New York Festivals Award for Best Promotions Spot||Cartoon Network|
|2014||Inaugural NSW Creative Laureate |
|2013||51st Australian Export Awards, Creative Industries Award |
|2013||51st Australian Export Awards, Creative Industries Award |
|2013||Premier's NSW Exporter of the Year Award |
|2012||Australia Network Arts and Entertainment Exporter of the Year Award |
|2012||Premier's NSW Exporter of the Year Award (Arts and Entertainment)|
|2010||AFI Byron Kennedy Award for Outstanding Creative Enterprise |
|TBA||Betty Boop||Production Company|||
|Last Family||Production Company|||
|2015||The Monk||Visual Effects|||
|Avengers: Age of Ultron||Visual Effects|||
|Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day||Visual Effects|
|The Rover||Visual Effects|||
|The Lego Movie||Animation Studio|
|X-Men: Days of Future Past||Visual Effects|||
|2013||Walking with Dinosaurs 3D||Animation Studio|
|The Great Gatsby||Visual Effects|
|2012||The Polar Bears||Production Company/Animation Studio|||
|2011||Happy Feet Two||Opening "Doomberg" Visual Effects|
|Sucker Punch||Visual Effects|
|Lego Star Wars: The Padawan Menace||Production Company|
|2010||Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole||Animation Studio|
|The Black Balloon||Visual Effects|
|Fool's Gold||Visual Effects|
|2007||28 Weeks Later||Digital Visual Effects|
|Clubland||Front Title Design|
|Crocodile Dreaming||Special Effects Company|
|2006||Charlotte's Web||Film Scanning|
|Happy Feet||Animation Studio|
|David Tench Tonight||Animation|
|World Trade Center||Additional Visual Effects|
|The Silence||Visual Effects|
|2005||Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire|
|The Cave||Additional Previsualization|
|The Great Raid||Visual Effects|
|2004||Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars|
|Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid||Opening Titles|
|My Sister||Digital Film Transfer|
|House of Flying Daggers||Visual Effects|
|2003||XMA: Xtreme Martial Arts||Special Effects Company|
|In the Cut||Visual Effects|
|Danny Deckchair||Titles and Opticals|
|The Matrix Reloaded||Visual Effects|
|Swimming Upstream||Special Effects Company|
|2002||Ang agimat: Anting-anting ni Lolo||Digital Tape to Film Transfer|
|Hero||Special Effects Company|
|The Quiet American|
|Mono po||Digital Tape To Film Transfer|
|The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course||VFX and CGI|
|Rabbit-Proof Fence||Visual Effects|
|2001||Charlotte Gray||Special Effects Company|
|The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring||Visual Effects|
|Planet of the Apes||Special Effects Company|
|South Pacific||Visual Effects|
|2000||Chopper||Special Effects Company|
|Mr. Accident||Visual Effects|
|1999||Me Myself I||Visual Effects and CGI|
|Holy Smokes||Special Effects Company|
|The Incredible Genie||Digital Effects|
|Strange Planet||Title Design And Production, Visual Effects|
|The Matrix||Special Effects Company|
|1998||The Thin Red Line||Special Effects Company|
|Babe: Pig in the City|
|In the Winter Dark|
|1997||Mousehunt||Additional Visual Effects|
|Heaven's Burning||Digital Opticals|
|Thank God He Met Lizzie||Title Design|
|Face/Off||Additional Visual Effects, Titles|
|Blackrock||Special Effects Company|
|1994||Little Women||Title Design|
- Anderton, Ethan (7 July 2011). "Lucasfilm Announces LEGO STAR WARS: THE PADAWAN MENACE Cartoon Network Special". Collider.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- LEGO Systems (22 July 2011). "LEGO® STAR WARS®: The Padawan Menace™ Animated Special Arrives on Blu-ray and DVD September 16" (Press release). PRNewswire. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Animal Logic and Coke’s Polar Bears Kick Off at Super Bowl 2012". Digital Media World. 22 March 2012. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Animal Logic and Sydney Opera House launch animated film for Graphic Festival". mUmBRELLA. 14 September 2012. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Swift, Brendan (28 January 2011). "Animal Logic wins $65m Walking with Dinosaurs 3D". If. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Apostolou, Natalie (16 November 2011). "Confirmed: Animal Logic will animate Lego". The Register. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Animal Logic acquires assets of Fuel VFX". Campaign Brief Australia.
- "Fuel VFX receives Visual Effects Society award nominations". if.com.au.
- "BAFTAs: Fuel VFX, Hugh Jackman feature as Lincoln leads with 10 nominations". if.com.au.
- "Film in 2015". bafta.org.
- "Critics' Choice Awards". criticschoice.com.
- "Children's in 2014". bafta.org.
- "Awards - New York Film Critics Circle - NYFCC". nyfcc.com.
- Adriene Hurst. "Australian Effects & Animation Festival 2013 Celebrates Winners". vfxfestival.com.
- "Animal Logic picks up AACTA and Mobius awards". if.com.au.
- "NSW Trade & Investment". nsw.gov.au.
- "2013 winners - Australian business success stories - Australian Export Awards". exportawards.gov.au.
- "NSW Trade & Investment" (PDF). nsw.gov.au.
- "Animal Logic receives Arts and Entertainment Exporter of the Year Award at the 50th Australian Export Awards National ceremony in Canberra". Campaign Brief Australia.
- http://www.exportawards.gov.au/Case-Study-2012-Animal-Logic-NSW Australian Export Award
- McNary, Dave (14 August 2014). "Betty Boop Movie in the Works With Simon Cowell". Variety. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Groves, Don (4 March 2014). "Animal Logic Restructures". IF. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- "'Greek' Creator Takes on Warner Bros. Comic Book Movie 'Bone'; P.J. Hogan to Direct (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Patrick Frater. "Australia’s Animal Logic Poised to Produce Next Three ‘Lego’ Movies". Variety.
- "Columbia Pictures Boards Chinese Martial Arts Feature The Monk". ComingSoon.net.
- Gregg Shay. "Avengers: Age of Ultron". cinefex.com.
- FilmInk. "Animal Talks Logic". filmink.com.au.
- Justin Chang. "‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ Review - Variety". Variety.
- Beltrone, Gabriel (7 January 2013). "Ad of the Day: Coca-Cola The brand's polar bears weather some family drama in this six-minute short, produced by Ridley Scott". Adweek. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- Official website
- Animal Logic at the Internet Movie Database
- Animal Logic on Facebook
- Animal Logic on Twitter