German theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Reinhard Klooss
|Produced by||Reinhard Klooss
|Written by||Oliver Huzly
|Based on||The book by Erich Kästner|
|Music by||David Newman|
|Edited by||Alexander Dittner|
Ambient Entertainment GmbH
White Horse Pictures
|Distributed by||Constantin Film|
Animals United (German: Konferenz der Tiere) is a 2010 German 3D computer animated comedy adventure film directed and produced by Reinhard Klooss and Holger Tappe. It was released on 7 October 2010 in Germany. The film stars Ralf Schmitz and Thomas Fritsch as a meerkat named Billy and a lion named Socrates in the African Okavango Delta, who go on a quest to discover why their river has unexpectedly dried up. It is based on the 1949 book of the same name by Erich Kästner. The screenplay for the film was written by Oliver Huzly and Reinhard Kloos. An English dub version for Animals United stars James Corden, Stephen Fry, and Andy Serkis.
The film is set in Africa's Okavango Delta, and the main characters are a meerkat named Billy and a lion named Socrates. The annual flood has failed to arrive in the Delta, water has become scarce and the native animals fiercely fight over it. Billy and Socrates set out to find more water, and during their quest they meet a rag-tag group of animals from across the world: a polar bear named Sushi, a kangaroo named Toby, a Tasmanian devil named Smiley, two Galápagos tortoises named Winifred and Winston, a rooster named Charles, and a chimpanzee named Toto, all of whom have had their lives ruined by humans in some way and have traveled to Africa. The animals soon discover the reason for the lack of water in the Delta: a dam has been constructed to supply energy for a luxury resort owned by a man named Mr. Smith. Hunter, a poacher, kidnaps Socrates, while the other animals escape. The animals hold a conference where Winifred and Winston explain the deadly future that could be possible for animals. After the conference, however, Winifred and Winston pass away. That day, Billy and the other animals travel through the "Valley of Death" towards the dam. Hunter spots the animals and tries to stop them with a bi-plane, but is stopped by Toto. Maya, Mr. Smith's daughter, frees Socrates from his cage, and sends Hunter down a chute. Down at the bottom of the dam, the buffaloes and rhinos, including Chino and Biggie, charge into the dam. Billy hits a rock into a chute in the dam, which ignites a missile from Hunter's bi-plane, which destroys the dam, and frees the water. To celebrate the water coming back, they have a party. After the party, the animals travel to New York City, where the movie ends with whales calling.
- Billy is an adventurous green-eyed gray meerkat who wants to find water to drink. He wants to take some for himself with a bottle made out an orange-colored gourd complete with a cork. He also likes to golf, drum and sing.
- Bonnie - Billy's wife and loyal but concerned member of the meerkat family. She has tan fur and light brown eyes compared to her husband's gray fur and green eyes.
- Junior - the son of Billy and Bonnie who wants to do one of the things his father likes to do such as taking some water with a gourd.
- Other meerkats often tease Junior about his father's promise, but are convinced at the end.
The other animals
- Socrates - the lion with a scar on his face and Billy's best friend. His goal is to vanquish the hunter in revenge of his brother Mambo.
- Angie - the elephant with blond hair tied in a ponytail.
- Giselle - the giraffe with makeup on her face and blond bangs on her head. She is also Angie's best friend.
- Winston - a Galapagos tortoise who was alive for more than 700 years.
- Winifred - a Galapagos tortoise and Winston's wife who was also alive for more than 700 years.
- Charles - the cockerel with a French accent who leads the other animals.
- Sushi - the polar bear who was damaged by global warming.
- Toby - the red kangaroo whose ears are hanging down. He likes to drink water.
- Ken - the koala who's been rescued by a man after another set the outback on fire.
- Smiley - the Tasmanian devil whom Toby the kangaroo befriends.
- Toto - the chimpanzee who served as a animal test subject on a cruise ship.
- Biggie - the black rhinoceros against Chino.
- Chino - the cape buffalo against Biggie.
- Mr. Smith - the tour guide of the hotel who initially never cares about animals but money.
- Maya Smith - Smith's daughter who is kind and loves animals.
- Hunter - the animal killer.
- Ralf Schmitz as Erdmännchen Kochgeschirr
- Thomas Fritsch as Löwe Sokrates
- Bastian Pastewka as Elefantenkuh Angie
- Bianca Krahl as Giraffe Gisela
- Margot Rothweiler as Schildkröte Winifred
- Peter Gröger as Schildkröte Winston
- Constantin von Jascheroff as Erdmännchen
- Nicola Devico Mamone as Büffel Chino
- Christoph Maria Herbst as Hahn Charles
- Oliver Kalkofe as Hoteldirektor Smith
- Frank Schaff as Erdmännchen
- Tilo Schmitz as Nashorn Biggie
- Santiago Ziesmer as Affiger Friseur Bongo
- James Corden as Billy
- Stephen Fry as Socrates
- Joanna Lumley as Giselle
- Dawn French as Angie
- Jim Broadbent as Winston
- Vanessa Redgrave as Winifred
- Billie Piper as Bonnie the Meerkat
- Andy Serkis as Charles the Cockerel
- Jason Donovan as Toby
- Omid Djalili as Bongo
- Mischa Goodman as Junior
- Bella Hudson as Sushi
- Oliver Green as Ken
- Jason Griffith as Toto the Chimpanzee
- Sean Schemmel as Biggie the Rhinoceros
- Marc Thompson as Chino the Buffalo
- Pete Zarustica as Smiley
- Ruben Lloyd as Vulture #1
- Jimmy Zoppi as Vulture #2
- Gary McHenley as Vulture #3
- Kim Holland as Maya
- Veronica Taylor as The Mole
The film was produced by German company Constantin Film. The film was animated in German, and looped by British voice actors into the English-language.
Reviews for the film were generally mixed to negative, with the aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes reporting that 25% of critics have given the film a positive review, with an average rating 3.8 out of 10. A review in the Hollywood Reporter described the film as a "bombastic CGI-effort that aims at the big leagues, but preaches too much while entertaining too little to unite internationally." NMM Productions, a channel from Dailymotion, gave the film an extremely positive review, saying that "not every childrens" movie has to be entertaining, and it doesn't matter if the plot or animation is bad. In my opinion, its the best movie ever made, ignoring all the haters". Animator Mark Flood had been looking forward to seeing this film, but was rushed to hospital in the early hours of the day of its UK release after suffering a stroke. After recovering a couple of months later, he did see the film at a local cinema and enjoyed it. The kangaroo in the movie is male, yet has a pouch. Only females have pouches in reality. In the credits, the buffalo character is listed as a water buffalo. The water buffalo is from Asia and is a completely different species to the African buffalo. To produce electricity, the dam must keep the water flowing, which will enable the gorge to have some water and not be completely dry.
|Animals United (Original Soundtrack)|
|Soundtrack album by Various Artists|
|Released||7 December 2010|
|Genre||Film soundtrack, Pop, Rock|
The soundtrack album for the film was composed by David Newman. It features songs performed by various artists, including Naturally 7, Charles Trénet and Xavier Naidoo. It was released on 7 December 2010 in Germany through Königskinder Music in CD and digital download formats, and is also available on iTunes.
All musical score tracks for the film written and composed by David Newman, except where noted.
|2.||"Golfing with Caca"||1:38|
|3.||"King of the Road"||Naturally 7||3:56|
|4.||"Splish Splash"||Naturally 7||2:13|
|6.||"Billy the Scatterbrain"||1:07|
|7.||"La Mer"||Charles Trénet||3:24|
|9.||"Drumming for Water"||2:33|
|10.||"A New Horizon"||Xavier Naidoo & Naturally 7||3:04|
|11.||"Socrates Tells the Story"||3:15|
|12.||"Move On Up"||Naturally 7||3:51|
|13.||"Hokey Pokey"||Naturally 7||2:26|
|14.||"Tales of the Humans"||5:43|
|15.||"Animals in New York"||2:16|
|16.||"A New Horizon (Vocal Play Version)"||Xavier Naidoo & Naturally 7||2:52|
Note: One of the members of Naturally 7 provides Billy's singing voice for tracks 3 and 4.
Fan-made remake and sequels
A fan-made remake of Animals United will be made by Dailymotion user NMM Productions that will be called "NMM in Animals United". NMM Productions also said on their now-closed Facebook account that they considered making fan-made sequels, with the sequel being set in North America, where the first movie ended, the third movie being set in India, and the fourth movie being set in Africa again, this time with humans clearing land for development illegally. The four movies will have three characters from NMM Productions, which are Nick, a lion, Mike, the director of NMM Productions, and marioboy22601, or marioboy. There is no set release date for any of these films.
- Konferenz Der Tiere at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- "Animals United Movie Reviews, Pictures". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2011-02-07.
- Animals United (Original Soundtrack) on iTunes iTunes Retrieved September 9, 2014