|This article's factual accuracy may be compromised due to out-of-date information. (April 2011)|
AnimeNation is an American business that includes RentAnime.com, a discussion forum, anime industry news, and a column called "Ask John." It was previously was a retailer of anime, manga, and other products of Japanese culture until 2014 and an anime licensing and distribution production company under the name AN Entertainment.
AnimeNation was founded in 1995 and is located in Tampa, Florida. AnimeNation also runs other businesses including RentAnime.com, a DVD-by-mail service. As of 2004, AnimeNation was one of the top two online anime specialty retailers in the United States. The AnimeNation online store closed in 2014.
Aside from the now defunct retail services, the AnimeNation website also includes, a discussion forum, daily news on the anime industry, and a regular column, "Ask John", where AN employee John Oppliger answers reader questions about anime. "Ask John" archives on the AnimeNation website extend back to 1999.
In 2003, AnimeNation announced its intention to license and translate anime directly under the name AN Entertainment. Rather than distribute the shows themselves, AN Entertainment contracted with other companies to distribute their titles. ADV Films was the distributor of Risky Safety and Miami Guns (though its logo only appeared in trade ads). With Haré+Guu, distribution was switched to FUNimation Entertainment. The first title the company licensed was Risky Safety, which was followed in 2004 by Miami Guns. Their third and final release was Haré+Guu, which was released as a joint venture with Bang Zoom! Entertainment in February 2006. All three shows are out of print and AN Entertainment has since shut down.
- "AnimeNation Retailer Closes Shop After 20 Years". Anime News Network. September 13, 2014. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "RentAnime.com". Anime News Network. July 15, 2004. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "Right hobby, right time". Sptimes.com. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "AN Entertainment [2003-01-31". Anime News Network. 2003-01-31. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "John Oppliger". Anime News Network. 2005-04-17. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "ADV to Distribute Risky Safety - News". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "AnimeNation Announces Its First DVD Release". ICv2. Retrieved 2012-07-21.