June 30, 1935 |
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
|Institutions||Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science
University of Calcutta
Animesh Chakravorty (born June 30, 1935) is a Bengali Indian academic and a professor of chemistry. In 1975, he was awarded the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology in chemistry by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research.
Early life and education 
After his graduation from the Scottish Church College, he did his post-graduation from the University of Calcutta. He had subsequently earned a doctorate in chemistry from the University of Calcutta.
He had started as a research associate at the MIT and Harvard. He had also served as professor and head of the department of chemistry at the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, and as professor and head of the department of inorganic chemistry at the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science at the University of Calcutta, and as a visiting professor at the Texas A&M University. He was also the Hindustan Lever Research Professor at the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research. He had guided fifty eight PhD's and numerous postdoctoral associates, many of the former students have become well known personalities and are doing outstanding work in academic and industrial organizations in India and abroad.
Prizes and honours 
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology.
- Third World Academy of Sciences Prize.
- Honorary doctorate, DSc honoris causa, University of Burdwan.
- INSA Golden Jubilee Research Professorship.
- Nehru Chair, University of Hyderabad.
- Gold Medal, Chemical Research Society of India .
- Gold Medal, Indian Chemical Society.
- T. R. Sheshadri Commemoration Medal(INSA), Acharya J. C. Ghosh Medal(ICS), R. C. Mehrotra Commemoration Medal(ISCA).
Lecture awards 
- Ajit Memorial Lecture, Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science
- Baba Kartar Singh Lecture, Punjab University
- CV Raman Lectures, Department of Atomic Energy
- National Lectures, University Grants Commission
- Platinum Jubilee Lecture, Indian Science Congress Association
- Sahasrabudhey Lectures, Nagpur University
- RK Barua and Golden Jubilee Lectures, Gauhati University
- AVRR Foundation Lecture, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research
- Foundation Day Lectures, IICT and CLRI
- Distinguished Lecture Series, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur.
- Fellow Indian National Science Academy.
- Fellow Indian Academy of Sciences.
- Fellow Third World Academy of Sciences.
- Honorary Fellow, International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry.
- Honorary Fellow, Indian Chemical Society.
International editorial works 
He has been a member of the editorial advisory boards of Inorganica Chemica Acta, Dalton Transactions (RSC), Inorganic Chemistry (ACS), Indian Journal of Chemistry, Comprehensive Coordination Chemistry, 2nd Edition (10 Volumes, Elsevier), etc.
Some other functions 
He has also served as a past president of the Chemical Research Society of India, and as an elected bureau member of the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry.
- Rao, C N R (2010-06-01). Climbing the Limitless Ladder: A Life in Chemistry. World Scientific. pp. 58–. ISBN 978-981-4307-86-4. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- Some Alumni of Scottish Church College in 175th Year Commemoration Volume. Scottish Church College, April 2008. page 584