Ankara-Istanbul high-speed railway
|Ankara-Istanbul high-speed railway|
A westbound train waiting to depart Ankara Central Station.
|System||Turkish State Railways|
|Opening||13 March 2009|
|Owner||Turkish State Railways|
|Operator(s)||Turkish State Railways|
Köseköy Yard (Future)
|Line length||533 km (331.19 mi)|
|No. of tracks||Double track|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Loading gauge||UIC ???|
|Minimum radius||3500 m|
|Electrification||25 kV, 50 Hz AC Overhead line|
|Operating speed||250 km/h (160 mph)|
|Maximum incline||16 ‰|
The Ankara-Istanbul high-speed railway (Turkish: Ankara-İstanbul hızlı tren hattı), is a 533 km (331 mi) long high-speed railway currently running between Ankara and Eskişehir, with the Eskişehir-İstanbul part under construction.
Construction on the route is taking place in two phases. The first phase is a 251 kilometres (156 mi), $747 million route between Sincan (a district of Ankara) and İnönü, for which construction began in 2003 on a segment between Esenkent and Eskisehir; this segment was completed in 2007. Regular service between Ankara and Eskisehir began on 13 March 2009. Two shorter lines complete the first phase: a line between Eskisehir and Inonu began construction in 2008 and was completed in 2010, while a line between Sincan and Esenkent was built in 2008.
The second phase, between İnönü and Gebze, is about 214 kilometres (133 mi) long, and costs $2.27 billion. The substantially higher price of the second phase is due to more challenging terrain than the first, including 33 bridges and 39 tunnels. This phase was partially completed by 2010.
Turkey ordered ten TCDD HT65000 six-car trainsets from CAF, the first one of which arrived in Turkey in 2007. They began service operating between Ankara and Eskisehir, expanding operations as additional high-speed trackage was completed.
Alcatel won an $80 million contract to supply signalling services on the line, as well as interlockings and control systems, while Thales Group has been contracted to supply an ETCS train control system for the Sincan—Eskisehir portion of the route.
- "Ankara-Istanbul High-Speed Train Project, Turkey". Railway Technology. Archived from the original on 19 December 2011. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- "Turkey's First High-Speed Train Service to Begin Next Month". Turkish Weekly. 25 February 2009. Archived from the original on 19 December 2011. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- "EIB loans €400m for Istanbul-Ankara high speed rail line". Rail.co. 19 December 2011. Archived from the original on 19 December 2011. Retrieved 20 December 2011.
- "OUR HIGH SPEED TRAIN SET THAT DEPARTED FROM SPAIN ENTERED INTO OUR COUNTRY THROUGH KAPIKULE ON NOVEMBER 20, 2007". www.tcdd.gov.tr. Turkish State Railways. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 2008-03-13.
- "Thales to upgrade Turkish high speed line to ETCS Level 2". Railway Gazette. 2 February 2012. Archived from the original on 14 February 2012. Retrieved 15 February 2012.