October 12, 1980 |
|Listed height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Listed weight||193 lb (88 kg)|
|WNBA draft||1st overall, 2000
|Cleveland Rockers (2000–2002)
New York Liberty (2004–2005)
San Antonio Silver Stars (2008–2009)
Seattle Storm (2012)
|USV Olympic (1999–2004)
CSKA Moscow (2007–2009)
UMMC Ekaterinburg (2009–2010)
Ros Casares Valencia (2011–2012)
Galatasaray Medical Park (2012-present)
Ann Hilde Willy Wauters (born October 12, 1980 in Sint-Gillis-Waas, Belgium) is a Belgian professional basketball player who currently plays for Galatasaray Medical Park in Euroleague Women. Wauters played in the WNBA, most recently with the Seattle Storm. Her primary position is center.
Wauters began playing basketball at age 12. Her international professional basketball career began immediately after high school. She speaks Dutch, French and English. She wears jersey No. 12 because of her birthdate. In November 2010 her management announced that Wauters was 3 months pregnant with her first child. Her wife, Lot Wielfaert, is also pregnant and set to give birth a month before Wauters. It was immediately added that this would not mean the end of her career, as Lot will be the stay at home mother to their two children while Wauters returns to work as a professional basketball player, likely somewhere in Europe. The next year she will play in Ros Casares Valencia.
Wauters was drafted No. 1 overall in 2000 WNBA Draft by the Cleveland Rockers. She was the first Belgian-born player in the WNBA. When the team selected her, she was considered a project and raw talent. Having only played basketball for 7 years prior to the draft, Wauters quickly blended in with the big-name centers.
In 2004 she was moved to the New York Liberty. She played two seasons for the Liberty before leaving the WNBA in 2006. On February 6, 2008, Wauters was selected by the Atlanta Dream in the expansion draft.
On April 9, 2008, Wauters, along with Morenike Atunrase and a 2009 second round draft pick, was traded to the San Antonio Silver Stars for Camille Little, Chioma Nnamaka, and the Silver Stars' first round pick in the 2009 WNBA Draft.
Wauters played for the Silver Stars in 2009, but decided not to join with the team in 2010; she also did not join the team in 2011 as she was pregnant. Her current team as of 2012 is the Seattle Storm. Wauters did not rejoin the Seattle Storm for the 2013 WNBA season though because she needed to spend time with her family.
Awards and honors
- EuroLeague Women: 2002, 2004, 2005, 2012
- FIBA Women's World League: 2004, 2005
- Ligue Féminine de Basketball: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
- Russian Women's Basketball Premier League: 2005, 2006, 2010
- Liga Femenina de Baloncesto: 2012
- Women's Korean Basketball League: 2006
- Coupe de France: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
- Russian Cup: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010
- Turkish Cup: 2013
- European player of year: 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2008
- EuroLeague Final Four MVP: 2001, 2002, 2004
- Best foreign player in France: 2001
- Best center of European championship in Greece: 2003
- "Echtgenote van Ann Wauters: 'Samen zwanger zijn is heerlijk'". Het Nieuwsblad (in Dutch). November 16, 2010. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- "WNBA: Silver Stars again make splash with draft-day trade".
- Silver Stars Center Ann Wauters Will Not Play In WNBA In 2010